My Ranger kit V2

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Wild Vins
Wayfarer

My Ranger kit V2

Post by Wild Vins »

My lords

I am pleased to present my new garb V2 to you!

I started by sewing a new linen tunic in a medium brown color.

I then sewed new linen pants in a darker brown color.

Next, I made a new woolen semi-circular cloak in a hunter green color.
I made this one with an integrated hood and I don't regret my choice.

I'm really happy with this new cloak.

I made it short enough so as not to step on it.

I sewed it to the shape of my shoulders so it holds very well without pulling back.

The color changes from a dark green in the sun to a dark grey in the shade, perfect!

After a rain shower, simply shake it to remove most of the water that had fallen on it.

I never thought I would be so happy with it!

(to close the cloak, I got a brooch from my wife's Viking garb which fits perfectly)

Then I took out my old leather Viking shoes which also pleasantly surprised me: no foot pain on a long walk and apart from a few slips on the wet grass, I feel great in them, I feel the ground and the nature, I loved !

And I also sewed new covers for my arrows and my bow in a waterproof fabric used to make large garden parasols and tarps.

Although the fabric looks a bit modern, it's not disruptive for small accessories and it worked very well to keep my gear dry in the rain.

I was able to test the set yesterday during a 13 km walk with the weather constantly changing from sunshine to storms of rain and fine hail.

During the sunny moments, I carried my cloak on my right shoulder (and on the backpack) and when the showers started I placed it directly above the pack (and the quiver), which protected me and all my equipment very well.

Wild Vins, Lonely Ranger from Middle-France
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: My Ranger kit V2

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Nice gear, much better pallette.Looks less costume and more clothes

I see that you can wear the cloak over everything and your picture twelve shows an interesting side effect.... I had to look twice to recognise it as a human form, try adding a veil for maximum face-on ranger sneakiness.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Wild Vins
Wayfarer

Post by Wild Vins »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:11 pm Nice gear, much better pallette.Looks less costume and more clothes

I see that you can wear the cloak over everything and your picture twelve shows an interesting side effect.... I had to look twice to recognise it as a human form, try adding a veil for maximum face-on ranger sneakiness.
Yes, I agree with you for the palette.
And yes, the quiver makes a strange form, like a human with 2 heads :P
Good idea the veil, I have one, but it's a too modern one, I'll try to make something
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Wild Vins wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:05 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:11 pm Nice gear, much better pallette.Looks less costume and more clothes

Yes, I agree with you for the palette.
And yes, the quiver makes a strange form, like a human with 2 heads :P
Good idea the veil, I have one, but it's a too modern one, I'll try to make something
As someone who wore a veil as part of a costume, either make a split front or use something with a very open weave like cheesecloth. Otherwise you end up nearly waterboarding yourself in the rain or when fighting on a hot day due to sweat.... Not a nice way to pass out. BTDT
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles