Relatively cheap welded maille!

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Relatively cheap welded maille!

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I ran across this site by accident but now it seems maille isnt as out of reach as it once seemed. I like this hauberk and if everything works out I may get one in the near future. Welded stainless may be anachronistic but it would also be nigh indestructible 8)

http://www.ringmesh.com/product_p/st210.htm
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Relatively cheap welded maille!

Post by E.MacKermak »

That actually looks pretty nice. Any idea what is weighs? I might be in for something like this.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

It's very light, about 8 bls for a short sleeve shirt. The hauberk is about 13-13 if I remember from other posts on other sites.

I picked up some pieces and some of the butcher's gloves over the years.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Whats your take on the quality of these peices, Pete?

I dont have alot of money to blow so I want to buy quality the first time :)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

It's nice good quality but the rings are very small, so while more rings will be in contact with a blade during a slash, a good thrust will penetrate it. It's still very cool stuff, it moves like water over the skin and adds a decent light layer of protection.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Thanks! I have one more question how easy do you think it would be to modify the hauberk by cutting riding slits? I realize this would be a slow and tedious procedure, but when?/if? I get my hauberk I want to cut riding slits and trim it with leather.

I saw some maille trimmed with leather in 'Barbarian Warriors: Saxon,Viking, and Normans' the Brasseys history of Uniforms series. That maille was made by Ivor Lawton and looked awesome. 8)

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'm surprised it's only ~8 lbs. Mine is made of far larger rings and approaches 12 lbs. I'd think the smaller rings would add extra weight due to the larger amount of rings/wire needed. Add to that that this one looks significantly longer than mine...and I wonder.

All the same, I'm gonna run some tests on my maille, seeing as I have a 4" long sleeve left over from my own shirt after I adjusted it (I ran out of rings before I finished it, so I scrapped long sleeves for a longer shirt and a higher neck...both, especially the first, were wise choices). Tests will be run with photographs up at the lake this week. I think this'd be a good thread to post them in.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

You could be right about the weight, I never handled a complete shirt. I do remember reading about the wieght of a full shirt and it was significantly less then butted.

I have a short sleeve 16ga butted and it's just shy of 30 lbs, I did add some brass trim to it so it's not completely stock.