NEW BRACERS - FINISHED!

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

NEW BRACERS - FINISHED!

Post by Greg »

Ahh, projects! Well, I've finished another one. I've been working on my stuff like crazy the last few weeks as I'm prepping for Vacaville's annual Medieval Fantasy Festival. Gotta represent Arnor well, ya know...

Anywho, I've been designing some new bracers and working out the kinks in said design over the past few months. The design is loosely based off of Boromir's bracers which Aragorn wears for the rest of the movies after he dies. The main, large piece is traced directly from my old bracers plus two inches, so they reach the ends of my forearms, giving more protection on the outside. I freehanded the curve on the back end, and it turned out rather nice.

The second piece, which has the straps integrated into it, I freehanded as well. These are rather junky pieces of leather, but they're robust, and I won't get all self-conscious about keeping them looking nice. They'll weather well.

The buckles are Christian Fletcher designed buckles manufactured for the harnesses on the Valiant Armoury Signature Bristol Swords that I ordered from Sonny. The eyelets are Tandy Leather Factory's "antiqued" eyelets, so they match the buckles nicely. Though the top pieces of leather look a bit lighter ithan the bottom ones, it's only a slight difference; the camera made it look a lot more drastic than it really is. They're still a little stiff, but they're molding to my arms well, and feel AWESOME when worn over my linen tunic and wool shirt. I've got a few yards of dark brown quilted material from JoAnn's that I'm planning on making into gambeson-esque pads to go under these...hopefully before next saturday's festivities.

Anyway...enough jabber. PICS!

This one's an in-progress photo...I couldn't find my scratch awl, so I grabbed a 2x4 and nailed down the ends, using a third nail to punch all the holes. See, you don't need a bunch of fancy tools to work leather!

Aaaand finished:
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: NEW BRACERS - FINISHED!

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Looks great 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

very nice.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Great work, Greg! :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Good work!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nicely done!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Thanks, all! I think the part that I'm most proud of is that they're wide enough that they not only wrap around enough to serve as an armguard, but they also provide full forearm protection all 360 degrees around for things like dagger-on-dagger work. Dave and I are planning to work through Talhoffer's dagger work with blunts and/or wooden stuff, but even sticks can chafe, so they'll be handy for that.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I like them! I usually don't wear bracers much but I think I will give that design a try!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That is very nice work. I have been going over in my mind how I could make a good pair of bracers for the longest time. You've inspired me!
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elegost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elegost »

There amazing! Wish I had the skill to make somthing like that
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

The best way to get the skill is to use your imagination and get started. I'll bet you've got it in you. With your photographic ability, you show an artistic side that is just waiting to be expressed.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.