Scandinavian Kaftan/ AKA Birka Riding coat WIP

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Scandinavian Kaftan/ AKA Birka Riding coat WIP

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Right...well the coat is basically finished. This evening I finished edging, and decided I wanted something besides simply lacing to
close the coat so I sawed six antler rounds sanded, colored and varnished them and will be adding them tomorrow they will basically be toggles for lacin...anyway heres what the coat looks like edged.
Attachments
deerskin  edging.jpg
deerskin edging.jpg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 14695 times
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looking MIGHTY fine, my good sir.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

w0w looks really good.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

many thanks kind sirs.

As promised heres a shot of the coat being worn, better pics to follow when I round up a photographer. in this photo I'm wearing my wool tunic underneath the coat as well as the now sideless and sleeveless longhunter shirt from shrew bows, which I cut riding slits in after removing the sleeves to make a short sur coat.

The coat is tight, but given the stretchiness of the leather, I wanted it to be, as it will "stretch in" some especially after it gets worn several times. As you may be able to tell the shoulders are already starting to get stretched in, the sleeve seams hang just off the point of my shoulder.

I had at first thought to edge the entire coat with deerskin, but after looking it over I decided to leave it at just the shoulders and neckline at least for now, as I have some other projects in mind and I have to be frugal with my material. The coat falls to just about the top of my calf and the skirts of the coat are roughly 80" in circumference. The entire thing was handstitched with artificial sinew, which was halfed for the edging, and only one needle, as well as an awl Pete gave me a few years back.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

lets try this again :lol:
Attachments
042700952311[01].jpg
042700952311[01].jpg (69.43 KiB) Viewed 14680 times

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Wow! Pure awesomeness!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

And that is the difference between custom work and off the rack! Great job and I know it will give you years of service, and many many years from now, we will all argue over it after the reading of the will 8) j/k make more stuff!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very very nice, I like it a lot!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Well I got to get my coat out and wear it a' horseback today, and a friend was kind enough to photograph me and storm, I make it a point to ride bareback as much as possible....So dont worry, brothers, no orcs stole my saddle :lol:

the coat drapes really well on horseback, I was really proud of that 8)
It rides really good covering my leg

The other pic is of the Antler buttons, I sawed these out, sanded them a mite and lightly applied cordovan shoe polish then a coat of amber tinted varnish which I let dry overnight then I simply tied them in place...They serve two purposes to hold the coat together, obviously and secondly to hide my horrible eyelet stitchin :lol:

I really cant thank everyone enough for the kind words and encouragement. I also hope that maybe something in this thread helped someone else. This project took root in my mind about 2 years ago, but I was apprhensive, then posted on a tanning board
hoping to get some direction as to how exactly I would start this pattern in leather ....all I got was "good luck, with yer dress" :lol:
So many thanks to all the great folk here 8)
Attachments
042800951658[00].jpg
042800951658[00].jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 14667 times
0428101721a95289102.jpg
0428101721a95289102.jpg (7.83 KiB) Viewed 14667 times

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Great great great great great work Man. I can't say it enough. Just wonderful. Now you should do one in silk lined in squirrel skins.
Winter is coming
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Outstanding, R.D., simply outstanding.

Siani
Nandalad!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Mike, thank you...but lets not set the bar too high :lol: But I'll own that I wish I had used wool or linen, I've worn this coat extensively running the woods and ridin in the evenings, and its way too heavy, I can really feel it in my shoulders, I really should've just edged my existing tunic its warmer weighs less and is more convenient to put on and take off so the coat does have its cons.

My next few projects as available funds become available will be footwear and leggings and finishing my surcoat.

Eledwen, thank you, coming from someone who has made their own gear for years thats a high compliment, but I cant take too much credit because I assure you luck had more to do with the outcome than any skill on my part.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Does wearing the belt help to take the weight off your shoulders at all?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

The belt does help a bit.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

I'm just now seeing this and all I can say is truly amazing work.