Just ordered a bow.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Just ordered a bow.

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I have just ordered a rudder bow U-Finish English Warbow #55@30" I want to seriously invest some time into getting to be proficient with the bow once I get it finished while finishing I want to make some clothyard arrows. I'm thinking about using poplar shafts fletched with turkey feathers. the process I imagine is splitting the shafts out of the poplar log, scraping to rough size with glass and using the 1/4 to 3/8 hole in my drawplate to properly size them, then heating them to straighten. The fletchin will be glued and wrapped with linen thread, and the arrows will be self nocked reinforced with thread....Is this correct, any seasoned arrow makers feel free to chime in.

Any advice on arrow making or shooting in general would be appreciated.

Thanx
~RD
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Just ordered a bow.

Post by Greg »

WOO HOO NEW BOWS!

For starters, go join tradgang.com, go into the shooter's forum, and read the thread titled "Terry's Form Clock" and just about every other post by Terry Green. The man is a consistency machine, and he's the king of back tension (another thing to look up.) Look up some of his shooting videos, too, if you can...his follow-through practically loks elvish...very smooth. Looks like his hand is floating...it's amazing. You don't have to join the site to read, but I'd recommend it for any questions you might have.

Next, taking that information on shooting form, and start shooting at your target from 5 yards or less. If it has a bullseye or targeting dots on it, cover it with a trash bag. Ignore where the arrows are going. Just place yourself so close that you can't miss; shoot with your eyes closed if it helps you ignore where the arrows are going. Concentrate on the shooting sequence; raise, draw, anchor, release, follow-through; get it perfect. Do it until your fingers hurt, take a break, do it some more. Get that down pat so that it's comfortable. THEN, you can take the cover off your target, and work on accuracy. Form is everything; accuracy FOLLOWS form.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Thanks Greg. So far I've read a couple of threads and jotted down some notes...I keep notebooks/ training journals on Sword, Axe/tomahawk, and now I'm starting one on bows, it really helps, I'm also goin to keep a "dope book" on my arrows. I've never been anything but a hit and miss, mostly miss, :lol: archer despite havin shot bows off and on since I was a kid but then I never really applied myself to it...thats about to change, when my bow gets here and I get the weapon finished.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

If you're keeping a training manual, you might also consider (once you move on to working on accuracy) to use the last few pages of your journal to draw random patterns of the groups you're shooting, with dates and distances, to monitor your progress. It's fun and encouraging to see improvement, so that could be useful.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.