Rangers and the SCA

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Steve b
Dúnadan

Re: Rangers and the SCA

Post by Steve b »

Nay, lad, Ah'm no Geordie. Ah'm a Dalesman, born an' bred. Mundanely, an' all. Afore ah came t'States, Ah spent me time runnin' t'moors rahnd Skipton an' o'er t' Pendle.

I do ride, but not well or often. So I try to keep the persona details to things that I am actually capable of. There is evidence of some of the lesser companies having unmounted archers, especially at the end of the War, post Castillon, which is where I place myself in time.

The guns at Pennsic are something I've been doing since '84. Currently building a new carriage for one based on a mid 15th C bombard.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Sir, you have just become my hero 8) Other than swords Early gunnery is something I've always admired, Bombards, Culverins,
Serpentines, cannons, are absolutely my favorite weapons
although I only know enough about them to say "they make big boom" :lol: Pray, sir, start a thread in the OT with pics of the Gunne and carriage 8)

Hear that, Rangers? I'm now riding with the Gent what has the artillery :lol:

Awaitin' yer command, Master Hawkyns! :mrgreen:
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

Ach, He's been seduced by Saruman and that nasty exploding powder.
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Alas, we have checked into the SCA a time or two here and found the local canton to be so boring we declined. When you work 12 hr nights, you get really picky about who you want to spend your precious free time around. We did speak to some of the folks when they had a meet-and-greet at the Ren Faire a few years ago. Besides not knowing who the Celts were, everything they talked about learning to do (leatherwork, making garb, etc) we were already doing on our own. So, not much incentive to join. We're more Ren Faire Folk, I suppose, and even then sometimes we don't fit in. Rangers to the end! We need to start our own Guild! The Guild of Rangers, Woodsmen, Foresters and Reeves 8)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Mirimaran wrote: We need to start our own Guild! The Guild of Rangers, Woodsmen, Foresters and Reeves 8)
You mean we haven't?
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I meant for Faire, there are recognized Guilds that people join, and wear badges for, such as the Wenches Guild, for example.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Dinendir.

Post by Dinendir. »

I like Mirmiran's idea. I say we begin this "official" guild and have badges. It would be nice to feel like I fit in for once. :P
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
He who seeks peace, prepares for war.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

I'm game(y) oh, sorry just came in from a long patrol, need a bath!

I'm thinking of going King Richard's Faire in Mass in July or August I think it is, anyone else going?

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

We generally go to King Dicks at least once, since some of the cast are close friends. You've got the dates wrong, though. Start's Labour Day weekend and goes through end of October.

We've also talked about going to the NY Renfaire in Tuxedo this year. That's a bit iffy, though, because since Disney took over the faire, they've done a lot to "clean it up", remove most of the "risque" entertainment like the Pirate's Pub, and generally aim it at the average 12 year old.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I end up at the New York Renfair several times over the summer. Chris Russo also attends as do a bunch of SFI (Sword Forum Inter.) folkes.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I'll be up there on the 21st of August and most likely sometime in September. Pete, I'll cry if you avoid me like you did last time :|
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mike: As long as it isn't Labor Day and I get advance notice (I work most weekends), we should be able to hook up.

With a little luck and timing we could get a small troop of Rangers together.

I'm always easy to spot... I'm the good looking one!(ducks the numerous missle weapons) :lol:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Peter Remling wrote:I'm always easy to spot... I'm the constipated looking one!(ducks the numerous missle weapons) :lol:
Fixed that for ya.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Sounds great I like the guild idea. we need to open the topic of badge ideas.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

Pete, a little more fiber in your diet should fix you right up. . . .