Rangers and the SCA

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Rangers and the SCA

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:
Peter Remling wrote:I'm always easy to spot... I'm the constipated looking one!(ducks the numerous missle weapons) :lol:
Fixed that for ya.

Something appears to be wrong in translation!

:roll:
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

Must be the Sindarin to Common Tongue translator that was just installed.
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

I was first involved in the SCA back in the mid '70's. It was kind of different then, not quite as much emphasis on authenticity, a lot less enthusiastic bureaucracy, and a feel more along the lines of "making this up as we go along". My home was the Barony of South Downs, centered in Atlanta, which at that time was part of the kingdom of Atenveldt.

In the late 90's, I tried to bring some aspects of "Rangering" into my SCA experience by scouting the woods battle at Pennsic. Although I fought heavy in the rest of the battles, and did combat archery when it was included, I particularly loved being a "light" fighter for the woods battle, as I got to begin the battle several days ahead of everyone else. I would go out and look for sign, to figure out what the other side was thinking. There were also little head games opposing scouts played, planting false signs, moving things around, etc. We also looked for real dangers and moved them, or arranged for a safer situation for the combattants.

During the battle, we would sneak through the lines, would act as messengers and traffic control, directing returning fighters to where they were needed.

This experience was a lot of fun, and also allowed some other people who could not fight heavy to become involved. I got to wear lighter armor, move a bit quicker, sneak around, etc. I could be called dead by any heavy who got within ten feet.

And then, some of the officers, primarily in the east, got it in their heads that they didn't like "non combattants" on the field. Using the excuse that it was too difficult for a heavy fighter to distinguish a huge white diamond on a helmet (but red/blue tape, no problem) they upgraded the armor requirements to the same as for heavy fighters, and then declared "touch kills" for scouts. This effectively destroyed scouting. It wasn't a surprise, as we had seen it coming for years, all while certain mouthpieces made soothing noises and promised it wouldn't happen. So, yeah, it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, and a lingering bitterness.

That's pretty much when I left the SCA. Not so much because of losing scouting, but the repeated lies, and the constant effort to remove anything other than basic melee combat. And I can even remember a time when certain fighters tried to remove anything other than simple sword and board.

Anyway, anger aside, I suppose you could bring certain aspects of Rangering to the SCA. Focus on herbal medicine, the crafts... It's just at this point, I wonder why bother?

Promise, next post won't be as despondent.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Eventually, I would like to become more involved in The Middle Kingdom Hunt Guild.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

I've been leaning toward this one. . . http://www.sthubertsrangers.com/
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
David

Post by David »

You'll want to check for yourself, but I don't think that St. Huberts is affiliated with the SCA
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

They aren't, but there is no membership fee requirements either, you just put together a reasonably historically accurate hunters outfit and send them a picture of yourself and your in.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

As far as I know ST. Huberts is an actual hunting guild. Members have all at-least participated in a medieval style hunt. Once I get all my clothing and start hunting (hopefully all by this fall) I will be joining the site.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

From the website. . . .

"To be eligible for membership an individual must portray a medieval (for our purposes, the 5th century through the 15th century), western-European hunter, and have at least a basic head-to-toe set of clothing, accouterments, and hunting equipment specific to their chosen time period. Clothing should be suitable, in style and color, for hunting afield, and the prospective member must have either a period hunting weapon, such as a longbow or boar spear, or a hunting animal such as a hawk, hound or ferret. Participating in actual hunts is not a requirement of membership, but having a complete, period, hunter kit is.

A member's persona could be that of anyone who hunted for sport or necessity in the Middle Ages, such as: a huntsman, nobleman, forester, poacher, outlaw, etc. For our purposes, a hunter is defined as anyone who participates in the chase of a small game or large game animal, with the means of personally dispatching the hunted animal. Trapping and angling are beyond the scope of St. Hubert's Rangers."

I personally don't hunt, but it looks like an interesting group non-the-less
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

Pwyll, some of us bother because we care. We want the Society to be more than a rolling frat party in funny clothes. I agree that the combat has become an issue unto itself. It no longer resembles anything medieval or even out of fantasy. But there are those of us who want to keep the skills alive. I seem to detect that you have a bit of an issue with the authenticity, but skills are skills, and the same skills that would keep a ranger alive are the ones that would keep a scout, soldier, or archer alive in a hostile land. So the more authentic we get, the more we perfect the skills. I go to events and instead of setting up a pavillion with all the comforts, I set up a small leanto tarp and live on the ground. I'd love to see a camp of half a dozen people doing that. Up here in the East, we are now doing woodswalk archery contests, with moving targets, spring up targets, and no clear shots. We are also experimenting with some longsword and other techniques, bringing WMA to the Society. There is a place for us, it just has little or nothing to do with heavy list fighting.

Hawkyns
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

Greetings Master Hawkyns,

I admit I first joined the Society in the late '70's because of my interest in Tolkien. I stayed in it because I wanted to learn the skills of the time period. But it does take away some of the "magic" when folks don't want to put in the effort at some authenticity and instead just throw a t-tunic on over their t-shirts and never go much beyond that.

I do remember the last time I was at Pennsic they did have an area set aside for people who wanted a completely period camp, I have not been there in years so I cannot say if that still happens. The last camping event I attended was the Great Northeastern War here in Maine and that was 5+ years ago when I belonged to an Elizabethan Fencing Company, Fitz-Alan's Fencibles.

Looks like the gentleman I work with who is also in the SCA is interested in learning and going thru the I.33 manual I have so at least I will be able to learn the style of sword-fighting up here, and for archery I have my own area set-up in the woods where I can practice.

I will make an effort to develop an accurate persona of a hunter/woodsman in my chosen time period, if for nothing more than my own education, but in the back of my mind I will still have Tolkien's Rangers guiding me.

And I will stop rambling now.

YiS

Bleddyn of Long Forest
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

It's odd situation. When are Tolkien and authenticity at odds? He took large amounts of his world from early medieval history. The dress, weapons, and lifestyles are completely compatible with what we know existed in the 8-12th centuries. The skills, as I have said, do not change. So I see no issue at all with a persona based on a ranger/woodsman/archer. I'd far rather see someone in correct ranger kit than some of the garb atrocities that I've seen over the years.

We have had the issue with Elves. The problem, IMNSHO, is that the elves we see are not Tolkien elves, but are complete fantasy/fairy/dark/????? elves, with huge ears that stick out at 90 degrees, white hair, black faces, and god knows what else that is out of synch with descriptions from the book. Well done garb and accoutrements should not stand out like a sore thumb.

I make no bones about it, I am a dyed in the wool, hard core authenticist. That said, someone who took their kit seriously and put time and effort into doing it right, would not get a problem from me. I'll go after the tshirts, bra tops and pencil skirts, sneakers and combat boots, fairy wings, anime garb, and a host of other things before I'll pick on well done Tolkien kit.

Hawkyns
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Steve b wrote: I'll go after the tshirts, bra tops and pencil skirts, sneakers and combat boots, fairy wings, anime garb, and a host of other things before I'll pick on well done Tolkien kit.
(throws the hand grenade in the room) What about the vampire teeth, elf ears, bunny fur bikinis and loin clothes? (...And runs away)

Seriously, it's all about time, money and effort. Some have more than others in varying amounts. Respect the differences and make some attempt. The big-tent holds a lot of people all with different backgrounds, values, and prioorites.

BTW, St. Huthbert's has a lot of SCA folks, too. Just cool folks doing cool things.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

I could handle the "elves" and "fairies" and what not, although they did seem to eventually vanish from Pennsic. It was the "vampires" that were a real pain. Psuedo Victorian garb, and yes the combat boots, what not... Essentialy, they viewed Pennsic as just another convention.

Steve, it's not the authenticity, or lach thereof that bugged me about the SCA, although I do appreciate true WMA more. Actually it is encouraging to know that some people are studying it now. No, it was more the unending hassles. The eagerness with which the SCA brought in all kinds of bureaucracy. The constant rule changes in order to gain some perceived advantage.

Yes, there are some good skills practiced, and there are some fantastic people. But it really just got to be too much of a pain. That being said, I would like to find some way to exchange skill knowledge with others. And if you're into archery, I can't recommend "Will's Revenge" highly enough. Awesome event, geared toward archers, with some truly sadistic courses. Take plenty of arrows and be prepared to lose some.

As for authenticity in the SCA, well, it's a mixed bag. I appreciate the people who make an attempt to go as authentic as possible, for their own enjoyment. But as always, there would be a mix. Some people just getting into it, others not as much into the authenticity. But then again, with Elizabethan England, Tokugawa Japan, 10th Century Norse, whenever Arabic, Native American and Turkish... Well, how authentic is that? That being said, the mixture is pretty cool, authentic or not.

And, yeah, the Pennsic Puppies are a constant annoyance, the kids raised up in the SCA, who don't get into the medieval experience, but are just "there for the party". When I was there last it was maille bikini tops for the girls, and fangs all around. One of those girls mentioned one night that she and her friends were going to the barn to toss everyone else out and start a mosh pit. I gently reminded her that the fighters out there dancing wouln't like this and could snap her friends like twigs. They decided not to attempt it.

So, how to do Ranger in the SCA? Pick an early period. Go with any background, such as in St. Hubert, that would assume a forest environment. Pick up on all relevant skills. At events, as Steve suggested, go with a primitive camp, preferably with other Rangers in one of the wooded sites. And don't worry too much about a specific persona. You can be as specific as you like. Just don't mention that you're a Middle Earth Ranger, as the authenticity police get all bent out of shape.

Just have fun with it and do your own thing.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

Pennsic won't be the issue, I won't be going this year, need a new roof on the house first. I've been doing some more research and have found some drawings of the garb that I believe will work. Thanks for the advice, Rangers!

Faolan