Ranger pack and other items...

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Ranger pack and other items...

Post by Mirimaran »

Hail Rangers!

Ok, here is what I have been working on for the past few months. I had actually taken pics about a month ago with my cell but the pics never showed up in my email, so I was able to convince my wonderful wife to take some pics this evening. So, here we go!

Ranger pack...

Ever since I had first watched FOTR I loved Strider's kit, especially his quiver. I made a version of that a couple of years ago, but then I took a long look at his bedroll and wanted to make something along the same lines. I had been wanting to make a bag or traveller's pack for a while now but since I was taken by the shape of the bedroll, I decided to make a pack the same way:

It slings along one shoulder with a thick strap and is pretty comfortable. I still need to find a suitable buckle. The green roll is my wool cloak wrapped in two yards of green linen, which also serves as a summer cloak/spare blanket/ground cloth. This arrangement feels good on the back and makes for a good profile.

The main strap is held on by crossed saddle strings, and in turn they have thongs that lash the cloak and other items to the roll.

I used the three buckles I got at the Games to make a cover for the pack, which is adjustable and removable. The roll itself is just pieces of leather I had lying around that I pieced and sewed together.

The roll is 28 inches long and about 19 inches in diameter. I know there is a formula for figuring the cubic space but I have no idea how much area there is in here LOL

It holds quite a bit, but I'd probably use it mostly for spare clothes and the like, but I did make a sewing kit after a discussion on the forum with Greg.

It's the small round container next to the roll. I made it slightly smaller than the roll, so it fits into the roll snugly but not too tight.

I have thread, both cotton and linen, as well as needles, scissors, artificial sinew and spare cloth for repairs, as well as a leather awl and some leather cord.

Here are three pouches that I use. I didn't make the white one, it is hemp and is the first garb that I ever bought, sometime back in the mid 90's. So, it is still a part of my kit and will probably carry food. The possibles bag and the belt pouch are made with the same scrap leather and sewn with artificial sinew.

Pouch open, it reminds me a bit of the Scottish sporran.

Back of the belt pouch. I wanted it to fit a variety of belt sizes.

Back of the possibles bag, with a primitive knife and sewn-on sheath. Still not too happy with the strap on this one.

Inside of the possibles bag. I lined it with some thin leather and carry smaller pouches inside, as well as a pouch of longbottom leaf and a small backup pipe. There are a couple of pockets in there as well, glued to the interior.

A small knife project I was working on, based on a Viking knife. The sheath is of the same scrap leather, and was wet formed over the knife and it covers the knife entirely, the knife pulled out by a thong.

The blade came from By The Sword a couple of years ago and is actually a museum arrowhead, enlarged for display. I had ordered them by accident and by the time they were delivered (6 months later!) I decided to keep them for a rainy day project. So it rained 8) The handle was some craft wood that I had laying around that cracked when I seated the blade, but I used some glue and it's held up so far. My next knife will look better.

This cutlery set came from World Market and cost about $20.00. I thought it looked neat and picked it up.

The snapsack I made last year. Incidentally, the white cloth on which it lays is actually the same cloth it is made of. One piece of cloth, folded and folded again and sewn up. It's good for clothes and small personal items. The cloth is a bleached cotton towel sold as an embroidery item at Hancock Fabrics, retailing for around $5 dollars. It has a variety of uses for kit, but I recommend washing it first, as that bleach smell is still very heavy out of the package.

A shirt I made over the winter, using an old garb shirt as a pattern. I added the button after reading of a similar style in Viking wear.

Close-up of the button. It has a nice antique star pattern on it.

Another shirt, along the same lines.

I like the button on this one, it reminds me of Rohan in some ways.

Finally, a pair of MRL Legends of Sherwood pants that were lost in the closet for 4 years. They are of a heavy cotton, L/XL and let me tell you, they are big! The waist was elastic, so I took it out and ran a drawstring instead, so they fit much better, like a pair of baggy sweatpants.

I have one more project to tackle before Faire in October, a black shirt and then hopefully that will be it before winter. I am going to tackle boots! It was alot of fun making this year's garb and kit and would love to see what everyone else has been up to!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Dinendir.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Ranger pack and other items...

Post by Dinendir. »

Nice kit overall!
I'm REALLY interested in that pack.
Do you have any kind of pattern made for that at all?
8)
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
He who seeks peace, prepares for war.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Very innovative! Outstanding Mirimaran. Quite inspiring.

How would you mount your quiver to this? Simply lash it along one side?

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Wow love the bags. What material did you use for the shirts? I'm thinking about buying a few canvas drop cloths to make pants and shirts if I can dye them.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice looking! I too an wondering about the quiver. I might suggest you pad the underside of the shoulder strap with fleece as on a long hike it will start to charf your shoulder. I'd really like to see pics of you weraring this in gear when you get the chance.

Willrett: Canvas dropcloths are treated with a waterproofing to keep paint from leaking all the way through to what you are trying to protect. In order to dye them you will fist have to wash them many times to remove the water proofing. To dye them will requires at least 4x the amount of dye you would normally use due to the material being very heavy (thick) and absorbant.

Just a recommendation, use the dropcloth in it's natural unbleached color for a shirt or pants, and don't overwash it. It's already waterproofed so use it to your advantage. The downside is it's very heavy and hot. Makes good winter wear, not so much for summer.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'll bet it was tough to get your wife to take the pics. :lol: (For those who don't know, she's a great person too). That's some fine work you've done there. I'm on vacation this week and after working on a couple of knives, I may finish up a haversack I've been working with off and on for a while now. You've inspired me to get going. I really like the way the bed roll looks. And those other bags are wonderful.

Mirimiran said, "My next knife will look better."
THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Frothgar

Post by Frothgar »

This is fantastic. Great job Mirimaran.

i like the look of the whole thing. You seem to have plenty of storage space without the kit looking too bulky.

love the knife and the belt pouch.

now i got to get off my couch. find my camera and document all the projects ive finished in the last few months.

started making a snapsack out of leather. may quit that one and go more for heavy canvas. for weight and (for lack of a better word) suppleness. Just finished my own bedroll the other day. kind of retooling my whole set up to be lighter and less encompasing. should have a new write up soonish.
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Wow! Awesome gear! Really, Really good job! I am sooooo far behind! But you've given me some good ideas!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Many thanks, friends, many thanks! All of that is the result of sitting on the couch for hours, usually watching something with swords in it lol....ok....lemme see...

Belbarad, not an actual pattern, I did look around the net for rolls that were similar, you see this kind of pack for saddles and in Civil War reenactments. Look for valise. One downside I had was that all of my leather pieces, being scraps, are of different sizes and weights, so I did my best to make the pieces fit my idea. I did draw out the idea first in Paint and then used some paper to make a pattern, and then went from there. I think it would probably easier to make it from a single hide, a lot less sewing LOL
Eledhwen, here is the idea I had for the quiver, as in the movie sometimes it is almost horizontal on his back with the bedroll:

but I think for travel lashing is a good idea. Might need a new quiver eventually though.
Willrett, the shirts are of fine cotton, sheet weight or broadcloth I think. I hit Hancock Fabrics when they had a sale and got some really good deals. I'd love to use linen, but it can be very expensive, and I am not that good of a tailor lol
Peter, good idea about the padding. I want to wear the pack to Faire and really get an idea of how it would hold up on a day's march. I will have to wear it around the yard and get a good feel on how it would feel on the shoulder.
Eric, yeah, she took just a little persuading! It was humid yesterday! 8) but she was a good sport about it, and she does take much better pics than I do. I really want to see your bags! My knife is just really a kit put together, your knives are on a much higher level, truly! Thanks for the compliment, it means alot!
Frothgar, your kit pics have been a great inspiration! I want to see more of what you have done, and of course, more camp pics as well. The best thing about this list is the inspiration we all give each other!
Kaelin, I am sure that just looking at that awesome cloak you made that any kit you have has to be of the same artistic and inspired level! We'll be styling at Faire! 8)

Here's hoping for a Ranger Moot in October!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Mirimaran, just wondering, how does the pack feel across your back diagonally like that? I'm remembering way back in the dark ages in Boy Scouts with traditional packs how they would really drag down on your shoulders and make you ache in the lower back if you had to lug them around for any length of time. How does this compare?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I haven't walked with it too much as I still have to adjust the strap with a buckle, but it seems comfortable. I have found that if I moved the rolled cloak up a little that it cushions the back very well. I think Peter is right by suggesting padding for the shoulder strap.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Looking at it again, it would not be hard at all to add a split ring or something and convert it to a two strap system. I was limited by what I had on hand. The strap came from a farmer's bundle and I was lucky to have one that length, I have cut up many of them to make leather plates for a brigandine some time back.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

I was thinking that the diagonal placement hugged against the back would probably distribute the weight better on your back, but the single strap might be rough on your shoulder. A second strap across the other shoulder, as you suggest, crossing the front in an "X" strikes me as an ideal solution.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Great stuff, this is really a terrific forum.

With regard to the suspension of the pack, I think you would find supporting that kind of weight on one shoulder would start to cause you problems after a while. There are a few different options that you see on quivers, though I have no experience with them myself.

There's this 3 way system:

Or this shoulder harness system:

Greg has had more experience with a quiver style setup, so he probably has more insight.

Another alternative is that you could have a single shoulder strap than connects to either your belt, or preferably another horizontal strap that goes around your waist. The idea is to take pressure off your shoulder, so think along the lines of hip and chest straps on modern backpacks.

Love the rest of the gear too. Mirimaran, I'm not sure I would be too keen on using linen as a groundcloth of any kind. It has a tendency to wick moisture through, and it's not so good at insulating.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

As the pack stands alone, he can always just take it off and hang it from the other shoulder. It's only when he'll want to have his quiver in the same place at all times that changing to the other choulder might become impractical. It might be possible to just use the existing tie downs to keep the quiver on the left side of the pack (looking at it from behind) andwhen you need to change the weight to the other shoulder, simply tie the quiver on the right side allowing the top tie down a little extra slack so the top of the quiver hangs in almost the exact same place as when it's carried from the other shoulder.