Quiver help

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elegost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Quiver help

Post by Elegost »

Hello Rangers,

I have a small problem, I can't seem to get my quiver to sit right on my back, it has two metal rings halfway down on either side where a belt goes through but it sits too low, could some of you guys post a picture or two please?

Thanks, as this is getting really anoying! :x

-Chris
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Quiver help

Post by Greg »

Easiest way to get a quiver to sit right is going to be simply attaching a strap to the top and bottom, like this (doesn't have to be wide like this one, though...)

If you could get us some pictures of the rings you're talking about and what straps (if any) it has, that'd help us help you, too!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

The two rings that a belt goes through sounds more like a belt quiver than a back quiver. Easy to convert though, just follow Greg's pic and attach a single strap (for an over the shoulder type) or a double strap for a center of the back style.
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Ahh, Yes I think it may be a belt quiver that you would wear around your waist, thanks for the picture an inromation!

Here's a picture:
Attachments
QUIVER.jpg
QUIVER.jpg (74.28 KiB) Viewed 15287 times
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Yes it looks like a belt quiver designed to be worn on the left hip (by the loop and sheath placement).
It should be fairly easy to alter though.
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Ah good!
Greg

Post by Greg »

You could set it up like a backpack...attach two straps to the top, sticking straight up, and then bring them down on their respective sides and attach them to the rings...it'd be snug around the shoulders, and wouldn't move around much...
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I agree with Greg, I think it would look great as a backpack style quiver.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

The girls and I went to the renn faire today and I saw this gentleman wearing this quiver. It intriqued me so I asked if I take so pics (yeah, shy reserved little ole me).

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure937.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure938.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure939.jpg
Greg

Post by Greg »

All that gear, with a legit horsebow and all, and no arrows? Does your Faire have a rule against arrows, since they're a little hard to peace-tie? Last year, I removed all of my field points and zip-tied the tips of my shafts together into a solid bundle before putting them in my quiver, and I had all the safety and all the look at the same time. I might wind up doing that for the Baggins Birthday Bash in LA, too.

No rule on peace tieing arrows. I cabled mine together once, no one gave a rat's pituti so I never bothered again. I do cable all my blades prior to getting to the fair though.

I didn't get a real good look at his bow but it looked more like a prop close up than an actual bow. Several vendors were selling wood weapons for kids and practice and I kept looking to see if they had a bow like his. Didn't see another one though.
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

As someone that has hunted only with traditional/primitive archery gear since 1999 I have a bit of experience with quivers. I have tried nearly everything.
If the quiver is only for show.....you can stop reading. If you plan to actually hunt.....then carry on!

Back Quiver: They are noisy, snag on everything, arrows fall out if you bend over too far, and when you draw an arrow a lot of movement has to happen and you generally "wave" to the game you are shooting at......but they are big....you can carry a lot of arrows and some chow in them as well.....they also are hard to choose an arrow from, meaning you cannot really "choose" a broadhead or small game head instantly.

Side/belt quiver: Run away! they swing around, snag like nobody's business and are generally a PITA; unless you are refighting the battle of agincourt, do not use one unless you are walking through an area that is really, really open with no brush or you will spending the whole time guiding it with your off hand

Now, I use a stealth side stalker quiver. I made mine own to make it definitely more Rangerish....hand sewn and such with tarnished brass buckles for adjustments. You can carry a ton of arrows, no flagging movement when drawing, you can choose the exact arrow you want quickly, and they do not snag when traveling in the the wilds. To give you an idea, I carry 4-6 broadheads, 12 small game arrows and a stump shooting arrow as well and could easily carry more.
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Pics of your set up Cinead please. When I start hunting I plan on making a few broad head covers so I can carry a arrow in my hand with the bow but not have to worry about cutting myself.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

A backpack quiver? Good idea Greg, I'll give it a shot!
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Oh and does anyone have any pictures of one? As I'm finding it a bit hard to design (being a begginer and all.)

Thanks again!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I found this one, I know there are alot more out there but this one looked pretty good.

http://www.traditional-fletching.co.uk/quiver2_4.htm