finished curly maple scabbard

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: finished curly maple scabbard

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I cant speak for other areas but our local Ace hardware sells an excellent carving set that closely matches Mr. Pownings suggestion, which by the way, he reccomended Lee Valleys Japanese carving chisels but Ace got close enough for my budget. These tools hold their edges well and have so far carved this scabbard and an axe handle, both hard maple, with only one touch up....They also carved me...twice... on a slip up :lol: These tools are a good buy

One suggestion on carving, really get precise on your layout good lines equal good carving, if you dont have a carving vice a wood clamp will do, yes it will leave a small pressure ding but this can be remedied using a damp wash cloth and an iron to steam out the ding. Its important to be able to move around the work and a clamp at the edge of a work bench is the best way short of a carving vice.

Make certain to raise the grain, alot of people do this last but I dont once I sand to 400 grit I'll burnish with 0000 steel wool then begin raising the grain and whiskering with 0000 steel wool once the grain wont raise anymore I transfer my pattern and check my tools touching up as needed and carve. When done I'll clean out the carving as best I can and burnish again with 0000 steel wool then stain with LMF (see below) and finish following the instructions with the particular finish I choose, either Tried and True or Scandinavian Tung Oil

I highly reccomend Laurel Mountain Forge alchohol based stains on maple, and Lee Valleys Tried and True Varnish oil, I also like Behrs Scandinavian Tung Oil from Lowes.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

We can talk about the buckles soon, lemme get my money straight, but have I mentioned that my wife does NÃ¥lebinding now? 8)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I guess that the steel wool raises the grain? I'm not completely familiar with this idea.

R.D. you know I'm picking your brain in order to better my knifemaking skills, right? So be careful what you answer. You will see it again - as an old professor of mine used to say.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Eric,

Raising the grain is is getting the wood damp then drying it over a stove eye or other heat source being careful not to scorch it and then steel wooling the "whiskers" do this until the wood is smooth to the touch after drying.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, thanks.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.