Walnut Dunedain Sister

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Eric C
Vendor

Walnut Dunedain Sister

Post by Eric C »

Okay, I just finished this one today. Here are the stats:

OAL 11 1/2"
Blade length: 6 7/8"
Blade width: Just in front of ricasso 1 1/4"
Handle Material: Walnut coated with Tung oil and a coat of paste wax
Fittings are mild steel.
Peened hidden tang
Forged from 3/16" Circular saw steel.
Handle length from front of bolster to end of buttcap: 4 9/16"

If I didn't forget anything, on with the pics:

The funds from this knife will help pay for something special :twisted: . So keep that in mind when you consider buying it.

I am asking $125.00 for forum members. I'll leave it here exclusively for a few days before I post it elsewhere.
If you don't have the funds at the moment but are interested in the knife, PM me and let's talk.

I also have a cocobolo handled one in the works if that is more to your liking.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Re: Walnut Dunedain Sister

Post by mcapanelli »

Those knives are getting bigger and bigger. I can't wait to see some bigger stuff. Pretty soon you'll be the official armorer for the Middle Earth rangers.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hehe. I'm always looking to expand my horizons.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Beautiful knife, Eric. You are truly a skilled knifesmith. I would buy this one, but my wife would kill me (unless I can convince her she needs it). Whoever gets her will be one lucky ranger.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

That is beautiful... and Erich is right, I would kill him if he got another one right now hehehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Lovely knife Eric! Your skills are increasing nicely. :) Warms the heart of a smith it does.

I'd be interested in it if I weren't so close to the edge. As in skating on the edge. O-o

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Well wrought!
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Dinendir.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Dinendir. »

A beautiful gorgeous piece of art. I'll agree with the statements above, whoever gets her is lucky indeed.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
He who seeks peace, prepares for war.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Remeber two things: 1) I am open to work out arrangements with anyone who is interested. 2) There is the other "something special" I mentioned. If you're interested in seeing it, or actually acquiring it, you might want to get this knife.

Not to try to add any pressure or anything. :lol:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Dastardly smith type person! LOL That's a terribly way to treat a cat-like curiosity!

I'd love the piece, primarily because it was made by a fellow Ranger but also because of its aesthetics. I can't do anything reliably for a bit as we're still pinched from that close call...very, very pinched. My machine is in the shop so I'm doing things by hand..when I get spare time. Slooooooooooow. If the Valar are willing we'll start to recover next month. Not to where we were, but better than we are.

That's a lot better than some folk have or are likely to get.

Really shining work though Eric.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to leave smithing behind though. :cry: All of the wives are getting mad at me. I showed the knife off at church tonight and the pastor's son-in-law told his wife that he was going to buy that knife if it wasn't too expensive. She reminded him they didn't have any money- they are both starting new jobs soon. I told her (with a grin) I was willing to work out payments. I had already said I was old enough to be her father because somebody said she was old at 20. But when I said I would take payments, she looked like she would slap me! :shock: :lol:

I need to get her husband over here to teach him to smith his own knife.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Eric, you do beautiful work.. and my Erich would love to buy all your blades hehehe but yeah, money is ALWAYS the problem. But you better not stop smithing.. as he still wants to commission a seax from you hehehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hehehe. You don't know how many times I have thrown my tools down, walked into the house and told my wife, "I quit! I'm selling it all and never doing it again!" As soon as I cool down, I go out and discover what I am doing wrong. :oops:

So the one thing that will make me quit is lack of supplies.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Never quit lad. You show great promise. It takes a LOT of practice to get that good. I have a mentor to turn to on the occasions I run into something truly difficult. Or had when my forge wasn't packed away. ;)

Keep on keeping on. The Valar willing I'll be able to move out of here by May next year and find a place to set up my forge..and be back to making all those wonderful things a blacksmith/bladesmith/toolsmith makes. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I remember when we moved into our new house, there is a spot in the back yard where the previous owner had a swimming pool. That's where I originally set up my forge (after a few months of it setting idle, nearly killed me). But it didn't block off any wind or bright sunlight. I moved it next to my storage building near the treeline. Slowly a shelter is taking shape. I'd love to have it up before the cold weather sets in. That will slow down production substantially if I don't.

Keep your chin up. You'll be forging again soon!