Eket

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Eket

Post by Eledhwen »

I was re-reading 'Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth', specifically the section on the disaster at the Gladden Fields.

It says that Isildur divested himself of all armor and weapons save a shortsword, which he tucked into his belt, noted number 28. In the notes, it says this concerning the shortsword.

"28 This was of a kind called eket: a short stabbing sword with a broad blade, pointed and two-edged, from a foot to one and a half feet long."

At the long end that's about the same as smaller gladii. I have an old Windlass gladius from MR that was given to me ages ago. It's a touch long, being 20 inches on the blade rather than 18. I can 'shorten' it by making new guard and grip for it. That wouldn't require forge work, which I cannot do right now, and give me a nice short blade rather than a longer one; I prefer shortswords anyway.

So I'm thinking I will have a go at converting this blade into an 'eket'.

I'm thinking working with this blade would be much similar to Roman usage of it; I train with a Pompeii gladius anyway. Hmmmm. Given the formations the Dúnedain used at Gladden Fields, a shieldwall type arrangement since the wedge formation wasn't favored by the terrain apparently, a short thrusting sword in the press would be much better than longer blades anyway. For more effective.

Something interesting to pursue!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Eket

Post by Chris Russo »

I noticed that just the other day. (Read that for the first time this summer.) So glad I finished my sax--it's not much larger than that!

I almost think about the samurai's small "companion sword" that wouldn't leave their side, as opposed to the longer sword that they wore out-of-doors or in battle.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I realized I have three leaf-bladed swords; two of them in bronze, one of them in steel. Add in some custom furniture and they could easily pass as Dúnedain shortswords influenced by Elven designs.

Either way, gladius or leaf-blade sword, I think I have the basics for a good eket. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

One could also look at the cinquedea as a base. The description does not say if the blade is parallel and then pointed or tapers to a point from the ricasso. A broad bladed short sword, with a taper and point describes the cinquedea quite well. I've got one of the old, old cinquedeas from Museum Reps, back when Windlass was still numbering the blades.

Hawky
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Steve b wrote:One could also look at the cinquedea as a base. The description does not say if the blade is parallel and then pointed or tapers to a point from the ricasso. A broad bladed short sword, with a taper and point describes the cinquedea quite well. I've got one of the old, old cinquedeas from Museum Reps, back when Windlass was still numbering the blades.

Hawky

Steve; If the blade is numbered, it's most likely one of the Del Tin models, MRL carried in the early years. What orther markings does it have?
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

On the top of the quiilon, close to the grip is 1387 over the block letters MRL.
On the other side, still on top of the quiilon is a mark that looks like two crossed falchions. Looks almost like two hockey sticks. Definitely not the Wolf Mark or the newer Shield Mark of Del Tin.

Hawk
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Steve b wrote:On the top of the quiilon, close to the grip is 1387 over the block letters MRL.
On the other side, still on top of the quiilon is a mark that looks like two crossed falchions. Looks almost like two hockey sticks. Definitely not the Wolf Mark or the newer Shield Mark of Del Tin.

Hawk
Nope, that's definately a Windlass blade although with the MRL stamp
on the guard it sounds like one of the few models where Windlass supplied the blades and the furniture was made and assembled at MRL.Love to see a pic, Pete
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

I'll see what I can do. Computers are still pretty much magic boxes to me, and I'm only just transitioning from film to digital cameras. Luddite, that's me. :)

Hawk