Tanning hides

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Tanning hides

Post by Eric C »

No, not my childrens' hides either! :lol:

Anyway, I am taking up hunting this year. I have already had the mandatory hunter safety course for those who have never had a license- I got the top score in the class too, the only 100. 8) I will probably start out black powder hunting this year and move to bow and arrow next year.

But anyway, if I do get a kill, I want to try my hand at tanning. It would add a whole new dimension to my leatherworking. So what are we looking at here?

I know there is brain tanning- probably what I'll do.
Veg tanning.
Chrome tanning
I'm forgetting one.
A hunter at work mentioned something about tanning with salt.

So what other methods are there? Does anybody have any good tutorials, tips, tricks, free, cheep or tradeable supplies? Any help would be appreciated. You can PM me any instruction if you like in case you feel anything discussed in tanning could be too graphic to display on the forum. And please, don't post pics publicly in case anyone is too softhearted- as I have been for many years. Send those by PM, or I can give an email for you to send them that way.

Thanks,
Eric
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Tanning hides

Post by Greg »

OIL TANNING! Results in my personal favorite material.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, I'll have to look up oil tanning.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Chrome tanning is the one I forgot.

When I google oil tanning, all I get are sites for spray on tans and tanning oils and tanning salons. Not exactly the hides I'm looking to tan. :shock: :lol:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I may not have the correct term on there. It's the process that renders the "stoned" utility sides that Tandy Sells. Heck, for all I know, I may have it wrong and they could be the result of one of the processes you've already stated. I certainly don't know much about tanning, so perhaps you should ignore me on this one.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Cedar oil is mentioned as a tanning agent in this wikipedia article, under ancient tanning methods: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanning
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, that one led to some interesting external links. I've stored one of them in my favorites so I can go back later.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Eric,

Oil tanning and braintanning are the same thing basically in braining a hide you are using emulsified oils from the brain that can be replaced by murphies oil soap, liver oil, I've even heard of lard being used with with success followed by smoking the hide for several hours.

You will need a stretching frame, wood ashes and a large container to soak the hide a fleshing beam and a smoker, I basically use a tipi like structure made from a tarp. Salt was used to preserve green hides to be sold to a tannery it doesnt tan a hide and will readily wash off.

when you get your hide your first job is to thouroughly flesh it get all that meat and membrane off, I prefer to pull hides because it makes the job easier, very little fleshin with a pulled hide.

Now mix your container with wood ashes and water until an it will float an egg, put your hide in there and let it set until the hair slips easily keep it cool and be vigilant this is known as bucking and a hide will rot in the buck if you aint careful

Next get the hair off if you want a grained hide leave it at getiing the hair if you want traditinal buckskin the epidermal layer has to go too be careful a little nick makes big holes later. then rinse the hide to wash out the buck leaving it in a creek for a day or two aint a bad idea but I will just rinse and ring it out repeatedly then scrub with some baking soda to be sure and move on, too many dogs runnin loose to risk my hides becomin a chew toy :lol:

now frame your hide, cut your lacing holes about an inch or so from the edge around the perimiter of the hide. once its on the frame and stretched use an axe poll and start stretching it some more, as the hide gives crank down the laces do this until the hide dries, for those interested in rawhide the job is done, but for finishing the hide the work is just starting.

Now we get to applying the solution mix the brains in a pot of water and boil, mix the brains real good your after the oils and just for the record murphies oil soap smells better, but brain dont smell as bad as some say as long as your quick and dont let it get rancid. I liked to smoke a wet rag for a bit and wring it in the solution the smoke water seems to help a bit, any way let the solution cool and apply really work it into the hide, I like the hide off the frame for this to really wring in that oil but you can leave it on the frame many do.
what your after is to get that oil in every fiber of the hide and at this point you cant do too much, **really work the neck and rump of the hide these are the hardest parts to soften being the the thickest and usually this is where you run into problems so pay attention to them as you work**

Now stretch the hide again and work in more solution and keep cranking those laces work in more solution, and leave it to stretch over night

Next we're going to smoke the hide, if the hide has by some miracle dried I like to dampen it with solution before I smoke I'll work in a bit more on the frame before I take it to the smoker. Now heres where you decide what color you want your hide to be using cedar to smoke a hide will give you a cream/yellowish colored hide, I've noticed yellow locust gives a more tan colored hide these are the only two I've used so experiment if you want, let the hide smoke all day and watch for flare ups that might scorch your work.

the final step is to work the hide soft on a beam or cable, if a certain section refuses to soften brain it again and use more smoke water IE do it again :lol:

This is what I've used and it will work your ass off but i've got some really nice hides this way.

Good luck on your hunt 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Something about Murphy's Oil Soap sounds better than brain. So how much Murphy's would you use to tan a hide?
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I'm gen'rous I'll cook a bit shy of a cup to every 3 cups or so of water some say you dont need that much some say that aint enough but once I find what works I dont vary-ate much from it :lol:
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

The old philosophy: if it ain't broke don't fix it, right? Works for me.