Thinking of customizing a HLO (Helmet Like Object)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Thinking of customizing a HLO (Helmet Like Object)

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

Budk has a new offering in the helmet arena:

http://budk.com/Coliseum-Warrior-Helmet?

A pretty interesting design, that puts me in mind of the 2nd Age helms in the prologue of FOTR. I was thinking that if I did get it, that some customizing would be in order, adding some detail on the flaps and whatnot. Any ideas? This is for garb only.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Thinking of customizing a HLO (Helmet Like Object)

Post by Greg »

That's actually a pretty awesome looking helm. I'd definitely plan on an overhaul though.

A statement in their description made me giggle, though. "Stainless steel construction...thin coat of oil applied to prevent corrosion"

Does that seem strange to anyone else? If I'm not mistaken, that's kinda the point of stainless steel. If there's something I'm not aware of, please do let me know, but it sounds suspiciously like an extra step not needed.

Again, the helm looks awesome. I may pick up one myself, someday. I like that they've added "wear and tear" markings and such...makes it fun.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Different grades of stainless. Some of them have so little chromium in them they will rust and corrode fairly readily. Others have so much in them they're nearly impervious..but brittle.

Stainless doesn't always mean what you think; stainless under what conditions and for how long is a better way to consider it.

It all depends on the alloy and chemical properties of the metal.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Learn something new every day; good to know! Thanks!

*still a pretty cool looking helm, ken!*
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

"added wear and tear and battle damage" strikes me as they didn't take the time to clean up the finished piece. Take a problem and turn it into a feature.

Hawk