Basket-Hilt

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Basket-Hilt

Post by Greg »

Does anyone know where one can find a (relatively) inexpensive basket hilt? Not the sword...just the basket. Doesn't have to be top quality...can be a cheap crappy import. Just metal, shiny, and, well...a basket hilt.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Basket-Hilt

Post by Peter Remling »

There's a cheap copy of the Windlass Baskethilt cutlass floating around somewhere. The hilt is fine, the blade was crap. I'll see if I can find one and post it here.

It looked like this, this ones the Windlass though:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... 62-1-1.jpg

I'll check Ebay and some of the other sword sites and get back to you.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

What are you putting it on? I found this one looking for historical fencing supplies: http://www.zenwarriorarmory.com/catalog.php?category=68

There should be others searching along those lines.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

A buddy of mine back home (who wears a kilt just about every day...simply loves the highland culture as a whole) recently got into my modified nerf gun hobby, so I'm customizing a pump shotgun-esque dart gun for him. I'm painting it plaid (no easy feat with a can of spraypaint *chuckles*), stenciling "Edin go bragh" on the side, and am covering the pump handle with red velvety material. Wanted to throw on a cheapo basket hilt around the pump handle to complete the look. I may wind up just grabbing a hammer, dishing a piece of scrap metal, and cutting out some slots with my dremel and a grinder to keep it around $20, but I was wondering if there were some cheap options first. There ARE, it appears, but since it's just a plastic nerf gun, I don't wanna spend more than I would on materials, time, and the gun itself put together on just a cosmetic piece.

Maybe that $16 saber guard could have some holes punched in it and then dremeled out to look more like one, Erich...thanks to the both of you! If anyone has any more thoughts on the matter, feel free to let me know!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

So, is the Windlass cutlass a decent weapon? Something that could be used for its intended purpose and not fall apart? I once held an extremely cheap cutlass in my hand, and it's the first sword ever to feel like it belonged there. The balance was perfect, and I thought, for the first time, "this is something I could actually fight with". So, how do Windlass blades stack up?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Most of the Windlass blades are decent for what they are. The blades are HT have full tangs and are generally fairly good ( for the money ). Sorry for the qualifiers but while the blades and components are generally good, the combinations they make put together are lacking. Most of the swords have heavier than desired blade presence.

They have gotten it right on a few occasions: The Sowrd of Ulrich from the movie A Knight's Tale was ugly but an excellent cutter, more recently the type IVX is a great looking and handling sword.

Historically speaking, it's hit or miss.

If however you're looking for a decent low end sword you could do a lot worse. The best thing to do if you are thinking of purchasing a Windlass is read the reviews on Sword Forum International, My Armoury and more likely Sword Buyers Guide.

I have two or three currently but have owned probably 20 over the years.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Might I recommend Therion?

http://www.therionarms.com/

A very cool guy who I got my shield boss from, I am sure he can help you out.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Thanks Pete!

Miramaran, I'll keep him in mind, but I won't be buying right away. Even a low end sword is a save-up-for-it item right now.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I am in the same boat, my friend. It's feast to famine around here, but I am scrapping together enough money for Faire! *S*
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

kaelln wrote:So, is the Windlass cutlass a decent weapon? Something that could be used for its intended purpose and not fall apart? I once held an extremely cheap cutlass in my hand, and it's the first sword ever to feel like it belonged there. The balance was perfect, and I thought, for the first time, "this is something I could actually fight with". So, how do Windlass blades stack up?

Upon rereading I realizied I never directly answered the question on the windlass cutlass. Yes it is a good serviceable weapon. It would make for a nice close combat weapon.