green wool overs, custom elvish dagger, tinker blade, etc.

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

green wool overs, custom elvish dagger, tinker blade, etc.

Post by Elleth »

Hi! Like I mentioned elsewhere, I'm in the midst of a housecleaning, and this is where I thought these would be most appreciated. First the descriptions - I'll post photos as soon as I can manage to get them uploaded.

1. Wool heuk and capuchon. At least, that's what I'm told to call them. In English, that would be "agonizingly large poncho and hood." I made them for a 14th c. English impression with the local medieval group, but the rest of the outfit just doesn't match, so there's so sense hanging on to this, since I'll probably replace it anyhow.

The heuk is I am told a more working garment than a cloak, as the front is belted, the back left free, and the arms are comparatively free to move. The wool is thick - almost blanket weight - and a thick weave of deep green and black threads. Very warm, but weighs a *ton* if it soaks through.

The measurements I was given were... let's just say overly genorous. :)
If you're under 6', you can probably cut a good 4-6 at least off the bottom at least and not notice it.
If I were one of your rangers, I'd probably cut the bottom foot or more off and use that wool for a quiver lining or something.
The hood has a looong liripipe - also something a ranger might want to cut off and use the wool for a pouch.

Both are 100% wool, cotton thread. The hood is NOT lined or hemmed (it should be lined), and the heuk is incompletely hemmed, although the collar and entire front is hemmed. I will enclose a spool of the thread used so you can complete hemming after sizing it.

I'd like $95 plus actual shipping for these. I'm in Alaska, but they should fit in a larger flat rate box. If not, I'll eat the difference.

2. A Tinker Hanwei longsword blade I got in a trade and never mounted or used. Let's say $75.
(I also came across a beat up katana blade (it is real folded steel with a pretty watery look to it, but it's dinged. Definitely not antique, prolly Chinese), and will add it for just $40 to this one, since they can ship together without much extra trouble. Not worth selling on its own really, but I thought it'd make a nice sweetener for the other blade, and need to get rid of it.)

3. This is the nice one. :)
A hand-made "elvish" dagger I purchased some years ago at a friends' blacksmithing hammer-in - one of the attendees was displaying his wares, and this was too pretty to leave. Only selling 'cause there's too many sharp and pretties around as it is. The handle is some kind of resin-stabilized burl I think, the leather sheath has a gorgeous leaf pattern, and the hangers are tooled. There is I fear a small "character mark" ding on the handle. It is *wicked* sharp.
I'd like $125 for this.

4. Poking around, I see some other odds and ends - hand-sewn linen pouches, a small copper kettle (unlined, so I won't vouch for its food safety), some scrap leather.. if any of that sounds appealing, let me know. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: green wool overs, custom elvish dagger, tinker blade, etc.

Post by Elleth »

knife -

The heuk and hood - this is a horrid photo I'm afraid - I'll have to wait for morning for natural light, but the color is about right. In real life it's not glossy at all - it's a matte deep forest green, with a thick blankety texture. VERY warm. And way too big for me. Should fit a guy around 6' very well, and anyone else can cut it down easy.

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

The "Heuk and capuchon", though I've never heard of such a garment, I believe I've seen in one form or another, and they intrigue me. I'll get back to you on the matter. Look like some pretty useful stuff, regardless. If someone else is interested, don't let me stop you, though.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Wish I could take some of that off your hands. The heuk and capuchon looks like a warm garment.

That dagger, it strikes me as a single edged blade. Is that correct? I may have to try one out of some cable next time I feel like welding and wearing my arm out.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hello all!

Eric - The dagger is sharp on both sides. It's like a big thorn or fang or something.
Greg - So far you're first in line. :)
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, interesting. I like it. :twisted:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Heuk and capuchon in outdoor light

And the swords -
(yes, I cleaned them after after putting 'em in the snow. :) )

Eric - curious to see what you make, now. :)
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Look up Eric Cartrette on Facebook and send a friend request. I'll be setting up a page there for my knives before long.
I wish I could get my hands on that Tinker blade. Just not doable right now. :cry:
Greg

Post by Greg »

I think I'm gonna hafta pass on that Heuk for now.

HOWEVER, that Tinker blade...

I think I'm going to have to put forth a dead-serious "dibs" on that one, pending a few questions:
What's the overall length, and the length from the start of the tang to the tip? The only other thing I can think of is a question about Tinker's assembly system...does he do threaded pommels, unthreaded pommels with nuts like ATrim Blades, or are his peened?

If it's in the ballpark that I think it will be, consider it sold (assuming that the $40 Katana isn't a requirement...sorry, got a project like that already to worry about, and it's not for me...I have no interest in Katana...)

Thanks for the info, when you get a chance!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Greg, my Tinker is threaded. The one in the pic looks to be threaded too. I may be mistaken, but I think he is going to a peened tang on his customs nowadays because of opinions in the market. I could be wrong about that. I don't hang out on Tinker's site like I used to.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks, Eric. That's what my research shows, too. I could always peen it, whether it's threaded or not..just curious.

I think that, pending dimensions, I'm just gonna go for it. I "need" a longsword to complement my studies as well as something longer as a separate optional potential part of my Ranger kit. This would be a great way to acquire a customized blade...build it myself, starting with a blade by one of the most popular names in the business. Not a bad way to go, eh?
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

The blade is - as I recall - made by Hanwei to specs from Tinker.

It is 43" long, and from the tip of the tang to the shoulder of the blade is about 9 1/4"

The final inch or so of the tang is threaded - I couldn't say what pitch or diameter I'm afraid.
No welding anywhere though, and it certainly has the feel of a real sword, not a wallhanger. :)
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:The blade is - as I recall - made by Hanwei to specs from Tinker.

It is 43" long, and from the tip of the tang to the shoulder of the blade is about 9 1/4"

The final inch or so of the tang is threaded - I couldn't say what pitch or diameter I'm afraid.
No welding anywhere though, and it certainly has the feel of a real sword, not a wallhanger. :)
That sounds about right. Never thought it'd be a wallhanger...my own ATrim has a threaded tang that's essentially a short rat-tail ground out of the hidden tang and threaded. It's a very solid, modular design. Like it a lot. Consider the blade sold (again assuming that you're not requiring the buyer to pick up the katana too, yes?) I just need to cash a few checks. How do you take payment? Paypal is easiest for me, but I can do money orders or something to that effect, too.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I know that when Tinker and Hanwei were working on this project, Tinker was pretty hard on Hanwei when he would get prototypes that weren't what his specs called for. He wouldn't sign off on it until it was right.

Once I get out of my financial slump, I hope to pick up one of the Tinker/Hanwei designs.
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

Eric C wrote:I know that when Tinker and Hanwei were working on this project, Tinker was pretty hard on Hanwei when he would get prototypes that weren't what his specs called for. He wouldn't sign off on it until it was right.

Once I get out of my financial slump, I hope to pick up one of the Tinker/Hanwei designs.
Met Mike at the Blade Show this year and chatted with him a bit - he said the same thing to me at the time. Super nice guy. I wished I'd gotten the chance to talk to him more, but we were a bit busy at the time.

I've only played with the blunts, but they're quality stuff. Not on the same level with Albion blunts, but excellent for the price point.