LOTRO

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

LOTRO

Post by Jon »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what were your views on the game Lord Of The Rings Online, and how they opened the Lotr world to 24/7 gamers and people who only appreciate the game for killing monsters and leveling, instead of appreciating the chance to walk around a digital Middle-Earth and live an adventure. Also if any of you play it, what are your characters like and what do they do, do they try and reflect your ranger persona? I have a lvl 17 champion man and a lvl 8 hunter hobbit.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: LOTRO

Post by Eledhwen »

I cannot stand computer games.

Except LOTRO.

Best game I have ever played. Amazing still.

:)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I love the game. I'm fine with how it's open to everyone.

I have a 65 dwarf champion, 43 man burglar, 33 dwarf runekeeper, 30 hobbit burglar, and 24(?) man hunter.

My two human characters represent Rangers... I'm mostly playing my 43 burglar nowadays. It's unfortunate that my Ranger Burglar can't use a bow, but I can really emphasize stealth, daggers, and knife-throwing with the burglar class, so it's fine. ;)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I love the game but have not had much of a chance to play lately. I'm a big big fan of Guild Wars also.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have just two characters: Findiriel just shy of 27th level Huntress, and Silivrien a 10th level Elven Champion. I may try an Elven Huntress...we will see.

Findiriel is on course to become a Huntress...in the Hunter class there are two routes one can sort out via traits; the Bowmaster and the Huntsman/Huntress. I am on track for the latter.

My son plays as does my lass..although she has not played much due to other commitments.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I tried it briefly when it first came out, but didn't last a month. Like you Dirhael, I got it for the sight seeing - and it was beautiful! But the whole "go ten feet, get attacked, go ten feet, get attacked" MMORPG setup made it so blasted frustrating and dull it just wasn't worth the bother to me.

But then, I'm not a computer gamer. :)

Personally, I'd have liked to have had an "invisible" option that let you just explore the scenery and talk to the NPCs without all the missions and hack-and-loot level grinding..... but I can see how the real gamers - at least the unscrupulous ones - would abuse that option for scouting. So - oh well.

(Nice little touches in the scenery though. Whoever built the environment sure dug deep through the books. :) )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I do not do much grinding or level chasing at all. Mostly I explore the world; it is delightfully well done. I have been able to avoid fighting much fairly easily. Guess everyone's experience is different. I have done the Volume quests..am doing them. Talking to Elrond, Dwalin, Strider and others is entirely too cool.

Eledhwen, who is not a computer gamer either...with this sole exception.
Nandalad!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Just got started on it last night. A nice layout with good graphics. It has been fun to do some basic explorations of the world as I play. I have played several MMORPGs and this one is pretty nice.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

yep he loves the game.... guess I am a gaming widow yet again!! LOL :lol:
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

It will take days- literally- for me to download, so I don't play it.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

It will take days- literally- for me to download, so I don't play it.
With our old computer it took three days.. so I put the graphics on lowest quality and the game ran fine, only crashing very occasionally. If you have space on your computer, I'd try it if I were you.

Life before Death.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

You can buy the main game and some of the expansions for about 20 or less at most game stores. I seen it in the bargin bin the other day
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Or take a look on ebay..

Life before Death.
Ranger of Arthedain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Hey guys :) Am new here and was searching through the threads and found this one.

I play when I can on the Silverlode server with my female hunter whom I usually roleplay on there as a Ranger ;). I quite enjoy playing it when I can, doing the epic volume quests and such and attempting to get kindred standing with the wardens of Annuminas and rangers of Esteldin. :P The former of the two being a bit more harder than I expected, but I really do adore the faction mount you get. I, too, am not into MMOs as big as the next person, but I made an exception for this game. ;)
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Ranger of Arthedain wrote:Hey guys :) Am new here and was searching through the threads and found this one.

I play when I can on the Silverlode server with my female hunter whom I usually roleplay on there as a Ranger ;). I quite enjoy playing it when I can, doing the epic volume quests and such and attempting to get kindred standing with the wardens of Annuminas and rangers of Esteldin. :P The former of the two being a bit more harder than I expected, but I really do adore the faction mount you get. I, too, am not into MMOs as big as the next person, but I made an exception for this game. ;)
Complete the instance Volume 1: Book 10: Chapter 10: The Eye of Angmar. Kill everything in there and you should easily loot a great number of Bands of Numenor and Black Badges... just from running the instance one time you can get 7-10k rep from all the items you turn in. After you complete it, you can use the reflecting pool in Tinnudir to repeat the instance as often as you like, getting 7-10k rep per run. This will bring you to kindred standing very quickly.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.