Bows.

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Bows.

Post by Cimrandir »

Hi everybody,

I'm thinking about getting a bow from Rudderbows. They seem to relatively cheap, good quality, and they have really good reviews. So my question is, with all the choices, what's the best bow? I'm young and pretty strong, so I can handle a big bow and I prefer longbows anyway. Do ya'll have any recommendations?

Thanks,
TexasRanger36
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Bows.

Post by Jonathan B. »

A lot will depend on what you want to do with it and how much experience you have with traditional archery.For instance if all you want is to spend time at the butts sending arrows down range I'd go with about a #35 or #40 draw. If you want to hunt I'd go with at least a #50 draw.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I'm sorry, I should have said something about that. Yes, I do want to hunt with it, but I also want to get in some practice at the range with it.

Thanks,
TexasRanger36
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I've owned both their medieval seige warbow and a U-finish medieval bow, both 30"@60#. These are good bows and I highly reccomend them, having had nothing but good experiences. They are solid reasonable bows. I'm in the process of finishing a U-finish war bow for my cousin right now. So I dont think you can go wrong with a rudder 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I have a Rudder Warbow (in a trade from a fellow forumite). It shoots well but at 65lb not what you want to shoot at targets all day. For target shooting I use my 40 lb longbow (of unknown maker) or my 40 and 50 lb recurves.

As Dampiel says for target shooting the lower weight bows and for hunting or Ogre Slaying, the heavy weights.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Agreed. Lower weight shooting allows one to develop endurance at a pace that is not likely to injure.

I use my reflex-deflex from Woodbows, 55# draw, for shooting at targets, or the Magyar. I use my big War Bow at 75# for serious Orc hunting.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Eledhwen wrote:
I use my reflex-deflex from Woodbows, 55# draw, for shooting at targets, or the Magyar. I use my big War Bow at 75# for serious Orc hunting.

Eledhwen
Remind me to never arm wrestle you, I have such a fragile ego! :lol:
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I respectfully disagree, folk do what they can, if the man wants to hunt and can only afford one bow he has to go heavier, Medieval archers trained with the bows they fought with, just start slow and work with what you have. In hunting your only likely to get one shot anyway.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:I respectfully disagree, folk do what they can, if the man wants to hunt and can only afford one bow he has to go heavier, Medieval archers trained with the bows they fought with, just start slow and work with what you have. In hunting your only likely to get one shot anyway.
And Medieval Archers started at around seven years old. Starting with too heavy a Bow can and will cause bad habits to form.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

While too heavy a bow can cause bad habits and physical issues, there is also the mental issue. If you can't pull back a very heavy bow, many people who would normally enjoy the hobby of archery would simply stop trying. Positive results inspire one to keep trying, so I'm all for multiple bow weights, particularly when one is new and still building strength and skill.

By shopping around and then reselling equipment you outgrow, it doesn't have to cost much more than buying one new heavy weight, plus the spending is spread over a few years.

Just like buying a sword, it takes time and a considerable amount of research, trial and error before you will become qualified enough to make the decision that's right for you. That doesn't mean don't make any decisions, do what you're doing. Ask, look, try out, (when possible) and then learn by your mistakes.

Don't get disheartened by your mistakes, we all make them. Believe me, you'll never know just how many I've made. :lol:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

There is a truth!

Start with what you can handle, build from there. That is the safest and surest way to solid skill and enjoyment.

We all started somewhere. I didn't get to pull my biggest bow overnight...I had to work up to it. I started with a fiberglass 30# bow. From there to 40, 45, 55...and finally, with a lot of care and work, my 75.

Stay the course and steady on.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Dampiel,

The man states hes stout, he also states a preference for long bows which presupposes he has experience shooting a bow. Bad habits or not he asked about a hunting bow from rudder I made a suggestion and comment specific to his request....the rest is up to him. I didnt want to assume he was a rank beginner simply because he asked a rudder bow.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The advice is good for beginner or experienced person moving up.

If I have been insulting, I most humbly apologize. Draw weight matters and how one adjusts to it matters, especially when hunting.

Customs vary, but here you cannot hunt big game with anything less than 45#...and most target shooting around here happens in the 30 - 40 range. Even a five pound increase in draw weight can tire one quickly and cause injury if care is not taken.

He must make his own decision...he knowns himself better than any of us. Sometimes we get a touch too enthusiastic offering assistance.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

To my knowledge no insult was given and speaking for myself no offence was taken. I started with a 60# bow and while I dont claim to be a master archer I can shoot reasonably well. Theres no reason why anyone else cant do the same.

To address Petes point about giving up, yes, this is a valid point. But quite frankly if someone quits that easily I cannot think of anything in a DIY hobby they would excell at...Hard knocks, failures, etc. are part of the game. Any arena we stand in there will tough opponents, jeering crowds, stress and bad odds...its the test of both a persons right to be there, their will to be there and their ability to remain.

My advice to anyone starting anything:
In high school I participated in youth rodeo rough stock events, I rode saddle and bareback broncs and bulls. I learned that rodeo is life under a microscope theres often no shortage of folks tellin you why you cant but never enough tellin you can and at the end of the show everyone will tell you what you did wrong....This is why cowboys are proud and stubborn if you werent too proud to listen, and too stubborn to quit, you would never ride :lol: Point being: Dont try to fly if your scared of fallin, its ten times better to observe than to ask and at the end of the day no one but you really gives a damn how good you done. Finally do your best and if thats not good enough do it till it is and sometimes just staying on the horse is a "great" ride :P

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

True enough that people vary across the spectrum. I was frightened of my own shadow all of my early life. Beaten, robbed of lunch money, cried a lot, quit at lack of success, etc ad nauseum.

The Marines changed all of that.

But I have torn muscles in my shoulder from trying to go too far too fast. Hence my warnings to people on this type of thing. I managed to overcome them, and exceed all my expectations, but only with steady and incremental progress.

The Multiverse loves wondrous diversity.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!