New Maille project

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

New Maille project

Post by Eric C »

Okay, so it's been way too cold to get outside and work in the forge. I've always intended to move into armouring one day. Well, the day has arrived. I've been talking about this over on Facebook for those of you who are friends with me there (for the new folks, look me up, I'm Eric Cartrette over there). So anyway, I thought I'd show what I have for a little more than three days worth of work - not steady work mind you.

These are the shoulder pieces for the pattern that I looked up on the net. I've linked together a few more rings, but ended up taking apart much of the work for things that got missed.

And NO, I won't be selling any armour any time soon. I'm really only a beginner at this.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Re: New Maille project

Post by Jonathan B. »

Looks good so far.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Lookin good cant wait to see more.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hopefully I can sit back down to it this afternoon. but I will probably be working on a vest for my wife that is near completion. I'll have to post it too.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Good stuff.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Great looking work, as I've come to expect!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Just for curiosity, what are you using for the wire? and how big of a ring are you using?

Looks good.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks everybody,

Erich: It's 16 gauge mild steel wire with a 3/8" inside diameter.

Haven't done any work on it today. I'm trying to finish up a vest for my wife. Pics of that coming soon.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looking great, Eric! Now, it looks flattened from here, but I can't tell. Are you planning on riveting, or keeping it as is?

I've been thinking about it some more, and have decided that I'm gonna get a giant spool of wire and get to maille-ing again...flat riveted, this time. My original butted project was fun, but it's coming apart sporadically, and has zero functionality for what I need, so perhaps the year+ worth of work will be worth it.

Glad to see you're expanding out from bladesmithing! You'll have a full armory coming out of your shop in no time!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Dailir »

Thats coming along pretty well. Is it going to be just a layer of maille or paired with something else like plate armor, or even leather armor?
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Greg, the rings are round. They will be butted. I'm starting out slow for once in my life and learning on something more basic. I'm hoping to avoid the three-year learning curve I ran into with knives because of my stubbornness. Also, I need to appropriate the proper tools for riveted flat rings. But it's in the future. 8)

Dailir: it is going to be as is. But I've got to ask around about what garment should be worn under it to protect myself and my clothing from the rings.

Also, welcome to the boards. Why not start a thread and tell us a bit about yourself? We like meeting new rangers.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

That is coming out really nice :D
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Eric:
Looking good so far. I tried my hand at it a long time ago but I just don't have the patience. My brother Mike has made a shirt, a complete riding hauberk, a bishop's mantle and one of the arm protection sleeves you sometimes see in old gladiator movies.

A simple shirt and maybe some light padding where the weight lays is the way to go. If heading into a known battle then another light layer underneath and heavier padding over ( on the outside). Check out some pics of warriors getting dressed. The ones you wear the most padding underneath are those wearing plate and that would presumably be for chaffing not blunt force or protection as that's what the plate armor is for.

Admitedly I havn't worn plate but I've worn maille on many oc.assions
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Romans (speculatively) used a garment called a subarmalis under their armor. Some ideas how this might have been made can be found here: http://www.larp.com/legioxx/subarm.html

Gambesons really come into play late, but a couple of layers of linen with some padding is usually what the guys in the SCA wear under maille. I know we aren't the most historically accurate group, but we do understand blunt force trauma.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

If I'm armouring up for the full 15th c harness, its a linen shirt followed by a leather jerkin, followed by the mail with the padded jack on top of everything. The leather jerkins sometimes have a bit of padding in the shoulders, but I've never known it to make much difference. If the leather is good, 4-5 oz, then it won't rub on your shoulders anyway and if the mail is made and worn right, most of the weight should be on your hips, so padding in the shoulders doesn't help much.

Hawk