New Maille project

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: New Maille project

Post by Greg »

I wear my maille, for rangering purposes, over a linen under-tunic (at least, that's what *I* call it) and my wool tunic, which is basically a shorter wool longhunter shirt, and it's plenty comfortable. However, I doubt if there'd be a whole lot of impact protection there...mostly just protection from glancing edges and drawcuts, but that's basically all a short-sleeved maille shirt can expected to handle, anyway.

Let's just say that if I were to find myself in a live combat situation, I'd kill somebody from the other side wearing something a little more substantial, and take 15 minutes of personal time to borrow some spalders and a helm, at the least.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, a bit of an update. I've refigured a few things on the maille and actually have something taking shape. But I've reached a point where I need to ask a question or two of you who have made maille before. Here is where I get my ideas from: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.bar ... r/mail.htm

So in the plans, it talks about expansions and contractions. I am currently trying to figure out how to make the expansions running from the collar bones to the shoulder blades.

Now, questions: Are the expansions and contractions necessary? And can anyone explain them any better than the site I posted. It just doesn't make that much sense to me. Maybe if I do it a time or two, it'll make more sense to me.

Oh and pics coming by week's end.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Expansion and contraction knits have their own drawbacks, both decrease the flexibility of the expanded/contracted area. The weave is pretty visible in the diagrams but with the normal flexibility of maille, you probably don't need to alter the weave, unless the person it's intended for has a very narrow chest and hugh hips.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Peter Remling wrote:with the normal flexibility of maille, you probably don't need to alter the weave, unless the person it's intended for has a very narrow chest and hugh hips.
What kind of hips does Hugh have?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

kaelln wrote:
Peter Remling wrote:with the normal flexibility of maille, you probably don't need to alter the weave, unless the person it's intended for has a very narrow chest and hugh hips.
I'm surprised you don't know him, he has absolutely HUGE hips!!! :lol:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Peter Remling wrote:
kaelln wrote:
I'm surprised you don't know him, he has absolutely HUGE hips!!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: You guys ain't right!

Well, since I started back on the softdrinks, the belly's a bit huge. But I'm gonna take care of that starting very soon.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

dropping soda's hard I went from soda all the time down to G2 (low cal Gatorade) now I'm trying to get to mostly water with a mix of g2 and minute maid light drinks, I love the lemonaid its only 15 calories per glass.

cant wait to see pics.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg

Post by Greg »

Eric C wrote:Now, questions: Are the expansions and contractions necessary? And can anyone explain them any better than the site I posted. It just doesn't make that much sense to me. Maybe if I do it a time or two, it'll make more sense to me.
What pete says is quite true...I tried it on my own shirt, and it made the area a little stiff..almost like the rings were locked together in some places. So I said 'heck with it' and went back and did the whole thing as a solid square/rectangle with the necessary holes in it, etc., and it's a lot more loose and flexible.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Yeah... On my maille shirt it's just a plane old rectangle with no expansions at all. I had to put expansions in the coif I'm making (obviously) and found out that it's terribly fun! Don't know why I find it fun it just is...

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Update pics:

Hey LOOK!!! A halter top :lol:

And the back:

The bad news is that I just wound up the last of my spool of wire into coils to be cut into rings. But that's just my first spool.
Greg

Post by Greg »

You, my good sir, are making a TON of progress. Bravo!

Where'd you get your wire from?
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

lookin good the hobbit will be happy :lol: :lol:

as fast as your knocking it out you will be selling in no time.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks. It could still be a while before I'm ready to sell.

I get the wire from our local Ace Hardware store. I'm thinking it is called rebar wire. I'll have to check.
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cleddyf »

try farm supply stores, ask for lacing wire, its good to work with and is slower to rust then other wires
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, this is a good tip. A small patch of this wire got something on it and I used a cleaner to get it off. So it's already rusted.

The Hobbit had better like it! I'll hang him on the hook in the corner by his waistcoat and make him miss second breakfast if he complains! :lol: