New Maille project

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: New Maille project

Post by Mirimaran »

And a Jimmy Johnson shirt! Greg, you do know that our little part of NC is the home of NASCAR, right? We got a museum and everything! Might it be an enticement for a visit during the Highland Games next month, or the Renaissance Festival in October?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Mirimaran wrote:And a Jimmy Johnson shirt! Greg, you do know that our little part of NC is the home of NASCAR, right? We got a museum and everything! Might it be an enticement for a visit during the Highland Games next month, or the Renaissance Festival in October?

Or both! :lol: I told my wife when I saw the shirt, "Hey, they know something about Nascar in California too!"
Ernildhir wrote:By the way, Greg, is that Lori wearing the Red Fish Blue Fish socks? Those are absolutely awesome socks. Dr. Seuss for the win.
I DO hope those are Lori's feet and not Greg's. I'll just leave it with that. :lol:
Thanks by the way.

Greg: Yeah, when you get to rolling on it, butted maille really comes together quickly. I didn't even think about my cloak until you mentionted it, but you're right.

On yet another positive note, we have a Home Depot going out of business near here (that part isn't good for the employees). Most everything is gone now, but I found some tin snips that are working much better than the side cutters I was using to cut the rings. You do have to be careful not to egg out the rings though and you can control that by minimizing the amount of rings you cut at one time.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Eric C wrote: I DO hope those are Lori's feet and not Greg's. I'll just leave it with that. :lol:

:lol:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Alrighty, let's clear the air on a few things.

That's her brother's or dad's sweatshirt. I was born and raised in Los Angeles County. Despite the close proximity of a pro-series Nascar track, racing was not big in my family. Upon moving north and finding her dad and brother to be avid fans, I knew I was going to have to learn fast or be eaten alive.

So, naturally, I went to the library, checked out "Nascar for Dummies", and intentionally left it sitting out on their couch on a Sunday...race day.

Never read a page of it, but let me tell you, it got some laughs.

I would, at this point, consider myself educated in the sport, but that's about as far as it goes. I think I won the battle. They haven't converted me, yet Lori's brother now spars with me regularly using appropriate German longsword techniques, and seems more intrigued by my chain maille project than engine problems these days.

Victory is mine.

As for the socks...definitely Lori's. Awesome, yes. Manly, no.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.