Sept 30th through Oct 2nd? -- New England Ranger Hike

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Sept 30th through Oct 2nd? -- New England Ranger Hike

Post by Chris Russo »

I figured I'd start a thread for the tentative hike and get-together we were talking about doing in this thread: http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... 0&start=30

You can never start planning too early for such things. ;-)

From what I remember, we were talking somewhere Massachusetts/Vermont/Connecticut, maybe along part of the Appalachian Trail. I don't know what level of difficulty others are up for, or how good others' gear is, so I figure we'll keep it relatively easy: someplace we can overnight, a few miles from the nearest trailhead parkinglot?

Should we decide on a weekend, first, or should we try to pick a good location?
Last edited by Chris Russo on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Sept 2011 -- New England Ranger Hike

Post by Greg »

I'd suggest setting a date first. With this kind of advance notice, seeing as you've got a general idea of where you want the event to happen, the specific location doesn't have to be locked in as early as the date. Look at the calendar, try to avoid holidays where the trail will be packed with hikers, avoid things like the opening weekend of hunting season, and pick something. Again, with notice like this, everyone within shooting distance of being able to attend generally is able to turn around and say "Alright, I'll mark it on my calendar, and save the date."

Of course, things like opening weekend of Hunting Season will depend entirely on which state it'd be in. I looked through the old thread you liked, and Eledhwen mentioned a few spots that sounded good, but I don't know where they are relative to where you're wanting to go, etc. Wherever it is, it'd certainly be preferable if it were a location that either allows campfires or had the option of acquiring a fire permit.

Lots of things to take into consideration, but all worth it if we can get a group together. Glad to see you moving forward and trying to make it happen! If you can lock down a state to keep it within, I'd be glad to help you do some research into legality. Still, I'd start with picking a date first.
Last edited by Greg on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

About the easiest portion of the AT here in Massachusetts is the portion we hiked last fall; the section running from Dalton to the North. Crystal Mountain campsite has an outhouse and a fire ring, there is a stream nearby for water although due to drought it was more a trickle while we were there. Nice hike, decent campsite, and fairly easy. Just make sure to bring plenty of water. ;)

Best time of year is Autumn of course, but any time will do aside from Winter..although like Greg I am working hard on shoe-packs and other deep cold weather kit.

Silivrian
Nandalad!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Eledhwen wrote:About the easiest portion of the AT here in Massachusetts is the portion we hiked last fall; the section running from Dalton to the North. Crystal Mountain campsite has an outhouse and a fire ring, there is a stream nearby for water although due to drought it was more a trickle while we were there. Nice hike, decent campsite, and fairly easy. Just make sure to bring plenty of water. ;)
Which looks something suspiciously like this. Well, minus the tents:

My only concern would be that, being as easily accessible as it sounds, would you all be in for dealing with a lot of civilian traffic? Most of us could care less if we run into a few people, but you don't want to be camped right next to Uncle Ned's family vacation, either...
Last edited by Greg on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

We saw no one on the way up to the campsite itself, there was one other camper there whom we ran into in the morning; he was camped at a different spot. The area has several 'tent pads' not all of them near the fire ring.

On the way out, retracing our steps, we met a couple and a small party of people; nice enough folks.

Honestly, it was later in the year, October I think. The high Summer months would likely have a lot more traffic.

This section is simply the easiest in Massachusetts; not necessarily the most desirable. There are still the Green Mountains in Vermont.

The AT is a popular trail and New England is 'thickly settled' to say the least.

I'll be up that way a few times as the year progresses so I can make a better assessment then, but I think the 'off' season is probably a better time to shoot for, so to speak.

Silivrian
Nandalad!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

New England Ranger Moot.....NERM? LOL

I'm having a quirky day, yep. If we want to do this seriously I'll look around hard for some good places in the region, including Vermont. Check into all the necessities and whatnot. I know the AT has a lot of places for camping, and there are some folk who treat through hikers to meals and a place to pitch a tent/shelter, if only in their yard. Friendly trail, the AT.

Silivrian, having far to much fun today.
Nandalad!
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

Wrong coast here. :cry:
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

No, I didn't have any site in particular in mind. All the good camping places I know of are in New York, closer to me, and may be out of other Rangers' way. (We've done treks at the Neversink and at Alder Lake in the Catskills, and a canoe trek at Lake Lila in the Adirondacks.)

If possible, though, I'd like to find a place that allows for non-site camping. That is: while most trails and parklands in my state have pre-made primitive camping sites (usually just a fire ring, though some have outdoor privvies and lean-tos), some also allow you to camp whereever you like as long as you're 150 feet from trail or water, and under 3500 feet of elevation. (The nice thing about that is, while I don't mind using lean-to w/ outhouse, if there's a lot of civilians around you have other options.)

I'll have to see what the DEC webpage for Vermont is like.

As for the date: my sis-in-law is getting married sometime in September. I figure if I can avoid that weekend (which I have to ask my wife which one it is), I'm good for any of the others that month.
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

How does the weekend of Sept 10th sound? I *think* that would be the best one for me.

Too early in the season? We could try for the weekend of Oct 1st if that would be better.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Last edited by Greg on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

This far out I should be able to get any w/e off (except Labor Day) so I was waiting for a finalizied date before offering my two cents (which at the current inflation rate ain't worth much).
Greg

Post by Greg »

Good point, Pete.

Chris, sounds like it's on you...you get to pick one!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

As much as I would like, no camping here. The wife has a bad back and arthritis and she just can't do it. We range mostly at Faire nowadays, but I do want to see pics!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

Terribly sorry, kept forgetting to check this forum. :oops:

On me, eh? Ack, you don't know what you're in for, you're choosing the most indecisive chooser this side of the Misties. All right then, I say Oct 1st--a little cooler, perhaps, but we'll dodge the summer crowd, and perhaps get to see some color.

Sept 30/Oct 1st/Oct 2nd okay for all who's planning on coming?

Now, if the date's settled, we can really focus on location... Hrm... Crystal Mountain does sound good, El. I've got an "elvish" water filter, if the stream's not droughting this time.

I'm also looking at the Harvey Mountain Trail. http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/66460.html http://www.taconichiking.com/harvey-mountain.php It's just on the New York side of the NY/MA border. I'll freely admit that the reason I'm looking at it is the wild blueberries that grow there, though it may be a little too well-frequented for our tastes.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Sept 30th through Oct 2nd? -- New England Ranger Hike

Post by Eledhwen »

Blueberries! *drools* I'll check it out.

I will keep an eye on the AT now the trails are nearly open enough to get into. I do not expect much drought this Summer after the amount of snow we've gotten. We'll see what the Spring rains bring. Since I also pursue Colonial Long Hunter trekking, I'll be all over the CT/MA/NY/VT border regions this year.

I'll post reports and status as I go along once things get rolling. Intel is vital.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!