Craft, pattern and skill sticky

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Craft, pattern and skill sticky

Post by Eric C »

Hi folks. I've been thinking for a while of placing a sticky here so we can post different things that each of us needs to know. Of course all of this would be moved to the wiki when it is up and running, but in the meantime we'll have a sticky instead. This way, if you are looking- as I am- for a pattern for say a tunic, you can come to the sticky.

Things that would go well here are: making charcloth, using flint and steel,
clothing/leather patterns, other skills and crafts that can be explained and photoed for the sticky. Once we get the wiki up, all of this will be moved there.

Who knows, this could drum up some business for you.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Craft, pattern and skill sticky

Post by Greg »

I'm liking this! I might have to put up a primitive fletching tutorial here...I've been experimenting with fletching sans-fletching jig, and it's working pretty well. Not as exact, but cool.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

GO FOR IT!!
I may be contacting you soon about what I need to look for in a wood so I can maybe start on a bow between here and this summer. But I'll PM you for that one.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

This would also be a great place for Pete's scabbard-making tutorial...I think he was saying he was gonna make one for the knife you made him, Eric.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

It sounds like a great place for the scabbard making, leather covered water bottle and a few other tutorials. Chris could easily turn his hilting the saex thread into one as could Greg and his leather tunic thread.

I finally decided on how I wanted to make the scabbard. The integral frog is different and I should be posting the process when it's done. Still working on the quiver, a new sleeved coat, rewrapping a Windlass XIV and scabbard, rewrap on the Valiant 304s I got for Xmas and a few other projects. Fortunately I have another vacation in about a month. I've got so much stuff lined up I won't have to spend any money on pre-vacation projects. Normally I drop at least $150 just on materials before a vaca. This year I've got just about everything I need except for a couple of buckles.
Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Dailir »

I don't have much to add in the form of skills yet. But I will add what I do know. Sorry for the novel.

Char cloth

What is char cloth?
Char cloth is a black fabric used in fire making to catch a tinder and to light a tinder bundle. It is made from fabrics or other vegetable fibers such as cotton, linen, or jute.

How to make char cloth?
Char cloth is made by heating the vegetable fibers without the presence of oxygen; the two most common methods are heating it in a metal container, or under dirt and clay.
The first method, in a metal container, is fairly simple. You take and poke a small hole in the top of the container, 1/4 of an inch being a great size. You then take your cloth, or twine, and set it inside a metal container that can close and is airtight. After you have your tin and cloth ready you set it over a heat source. The tin will begin to release smoke/gasses which will light up fairly easily. I would suggest lighting them yourself if your heat source does not, as it is a great gauge of when to remove your tin. If you choose to light the gasses, remove the tin after the flame has gone low/died out. Note: be sure to cover your hole and let it cool down after removing it! If you don't your char cloth will ignite and be a waste. If you chose to not light it remove the tin when the gasses for the most part disappear. Done!
For the second method take your fibers and lump them into a pile. Mound dirt/clay on top of the fibers. Then you proceed to light a fire onto the top of this mound. When your fire has died down, remove the hot coals from the top. If your mound was sufficiently air tight your char cloth should be done. Done!

What type of container to use?
If you want to have the cool down be really quick you'll want to use a thin aluminum container; An example of which would be a soda can with tinfoil over the hole. But you will also have to limit your fire to a smaller size, because if it gets too hot it will melt the container. Now if you don't care about the cool down time I would wholeheartedly suggest getting a good container like an Altoids tin.

Use of char cloth?
To catch sparks and form an ember when lighting a fire with primitive methods.

What does char cloth look like?
Sorry I don't know how to upload pics. So here is a link for someone else's pic online. http://www.black-bear-haversack.com/ima ... ner_Sm.jpg

I decided to only go in depth for char cloth as there is already a pretty good flint & steel tutorial on the forum. http://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.or ... ?f=5&t=414 Although I might add more about flint & steel later when I have the patience to write more.
Last edited by Dailir on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks! That is a very helpful tutorial for those of us- like myself- who have failed in our charcloth making attempts before.
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

You're welcome, although I might also add to get a good container for your needs. I've edited this paragraph explaining containers into the original post too. So, containers? If you want to have the cool down be really quick you'll want to use a thin aluminum container; An example of which would be a soda can with tinfoil over the hole. But you will also have to limit your fire to a smaller size, because if it gets too hot it will melt the container. Now if you don't care about the cool down time I would wholeheartedly suggest getting a good container like an Altoids tin.
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

what is an altiods tin like? i don't think we have them here in nz
and what is/are altiods?
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Altoids are a pretty strong breath mint. They come in a small tin.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

They are curiously strong!

http://www.altoids.com/
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

This is a good idea. none of us knows how to do everything, and having stikys to refrence for projects will be great. being able to share skills with eachother is one of the best parts of what we do.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

I've had a couple people ask me about sewing my kit and a couple stitches I've used so here's a couple videos I put together.

Backstitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwsl5zqq ... e=youtu.be

Run and Fell stitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LV3VI5o ... e=youtu.be
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Useful and clear instructions! But the real question is how you shrank yourself so little. Judging by the size of the fabric, you must be only two or three inches high!