One Sword... or Many?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

sgainbrachta
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: One Sword... or Many?

Post by sgainbrachta »

Lots of good advice in this thread. I makes 'em, so I can add a few tidbits...

For most folks, I'd tell you to NOT go with stainless ANYTHING, as typically, even the force of a good swing can cause most of those cheapy swords to fail, and do so horribly!

The best money/value/function sets I've seen to date are the Tinker-Hanwei blades, both the blunt and sharps. I hilt many of them- usually the blunts, as we do public stuff, so blunt is just safer~ BUT I have sharps to mount into my hilts... The longsword and bastard sword blades (both out of stock at the factory, sadly~) are both by far the best of this lot. The "early medieval" is also very nice in the sharp, but a wee bit "brick-ish" in the blunt, the same for the viking, although to a slightly lesser degree.

In any case- these can be bought complete, or as bare blades. As mentioned, they run about $110-150 for a bare blade. I hilt them simply for between $100 and $300, depending on how complex the "simple" hilt is, and a single-layer sheath (soft, although a can do a scabbard, too~) runs anywhere from $50 to $200.

Now, do these compare to an Atrim or Powning? No freakin' way! Valiant? Nope, not really...

BUT the Tinker-Hanwei have had consistent handling, hardness and quality on every single one I've played with- and that amounts to about 60 blades... Heck- I have 7 sitting in the corner, now- my double-ring competition piece (bastard blunt), my wife's trainer/ranger piece (longsword blunt), and a complete viking blunt, as well as 3 bare blunt "bastard" blades, and one (longsword sharp blade) I'm hilting for a friend~ The longsword makes a great single-hand sword for taller guys, too...

Now- to answer the OP, I carry a longsword for fighting, a long knife (bauerwehr) for camp work and backup, a pair of small blades- one utility and one skinner. A spear head used as a small dagger with a socket-so I can make a spear if I want, and of course a bow! As I make them- I made sure the quality is very high on each. On the custom market, the load of steel here would run roughly $1000 or so, for all the blades. I work pretty cheap, all things considered! Dunno about the bow's value, really~ It's only the second I've made~