Hunting on the Go

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Hunting on the Go

Post by Mirimaran »

I think Greg hit the nail on the head here, with the Rangers of the North they would have pooled/shared supplies, or at least had a base camp from which to resupply from sorties or long walks and patrols. I am sure that, other than Bree, the farmers and lone houses in the wild would have welcomed Rangers and fed them. Personally I think that the Rangers would have been used to meager rations, unfortunately four hobbits of the Shire would not have been.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Mirimaran wrote:...unfortunately four hobbits of the Shire would not have been.
The Fellowship of the ring, [i]A Knife in the Dark[/i] wrote:'There is food in the wild,' said Strider; 'berry, root, and herb; and I have some skill as a hunter at need. You need not be afraid of starving before winter comes. But gathering and catching food is long and weary work, and we need haste. So tighten your belts, and think with hope of the tables of Elrond's house!'
More often than not, the answer is right in the books.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

They got used to them, later :P

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Mike

Post by Mike »

Well, I've been lurking around this house for some time. Reading, learning, becoming motivated, but not having too much to contribute, but here I have some insight.

I hunt hogs with an M1A and a 1911. I carry two chamber adapters that allow me to shoot .32acp in my M1A and 20 rounds of .32, 71gr Fiocchi hits point of aim at 15 yards, and allows me to take squirrels and crows if I need to feed myself or others in some unplanned long term situation in the outdoors, where a .308 soft point would leave me having feather soup with squirrel tail dumplings. Pretty soon a new law in Ca. will have us able to hunt only with lead free projectiles statewide, Buffalo Bore is the only one I know of that makes copper .32acp, so a range session to get the cartridge dope will be coming soon. I've also considered a .22lr conversion kit for my 1911, but quality units cost as much as a Ruger MkIII, so I may as well just get one of those were I to go that route.

All that to say, I don't see why a bow hunter couldn't carry a few field tips or blunt tips in his gear, so he can swap out a broadhead or two with those to get the little critters. Or, that a Ranger couldn't keep a few blunt or field tip arrows for the same purpose, I also think that a bodkin would pin Rocky to a tree without damaging too much meat besides it's intended purpose.

If I were out and about cross-country, subsistence hunting and not sport hunting, as often as possible I'd be looking for fowl and small-medium game and leave the deer size+ critters alone. Too much time, work, and effort when your trying to make distance or keep a low profile. It can take days to smoke a large game animal properly, maybe a whole day to get the smoker built, half a day to butcher and process the meat into likely strips, this because you're in the wild and are improvising with natural materials, all the while advertising your labors to every predator and scavenger in the area, two and four legged. Not to mention that all that dried meat may double your pack weight.
"An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications"- Lazarus Long

"You can never have too many guns, yoyos, or crayons"- my wife

"If you don't let your farts out, you get bad breath"- me
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

CA, eh? Whereabouts? Several folks out that way.

Hop over to the Prancing Pony section of the forum and introduce yourself! Welcome!

On topic, I can agree with wanting to avoid large game animals like deer, etc., when moving cross-country...I think such an exercise would be in the spirit of the only KNOWN job the rangers had that we're aware of...guarding the Shire. In this context, there'd be a lot more smaller-area patrolling, base-camp stays, and run-ins with fellow rangers to make use of all of the meat, etc., and make the work worthwhile.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mike

Post by Mike »

San Francisco Bay area, east bay.

Now, a medium sized group of folks, 6-10 people, can take a larger animal and use it quite effectively. If there's anything left a couple guys can build a smaller smoker and process plenty of fire wood, a couple guys to process the critter, and a couple guys to watch the perimeter(reducing the liability of announcing your current project). You then clean up, bury the remains, and make camp a mile or two up wind of the kill/process site.
"An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications"- Lazarus Long

"You can never have too many guns, yoyos, or crayons"- my wife

"If you don't let your farts out, you get bad breath"- me
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I'm watching Les Stroud "Survivorman" on TV, and I made a connection that might be interesting.
This is a new series called "Beyond Survival" in which he visits tribal people and hunts with them.
He's following some tribals in New Guinea and he notes that they gather while they hunt and hunt while they gather. They hope for big game but are not shy to take small game if the opportunity presents itself.
Good show; catch it if you can.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ineffableone »

Kortoso wrote:I'm watching Les Stroud "Survivorman" on TV, and I made a connection that might be interesting.
This is a new series called "Beyond Survival" in which he visits tribal people and hunts with them.
He's following some tribals in New Guinea and he notes that they gather while they hunt and hunt while they gather. They hope for big game but are not shy to take small game if the opportunity presents itself.
Good show; catch it if you can.
FYI Beyond Survival is not new. Might be new to you, Beyond Survival is from 2010 so is 4 almost 5 years old.

That said it is a great series, and is actually my favorite Les Stroud series. I love how he is adopted by so many families. He really made a positive impact on many of these people.