New Kit Items

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Re: New Kit Items

Post by Eric C »

I've been waiting for the "one ring" cracks that haven't come yet. :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

You know I was ABOUT to ask if you forged all of your malice in to it but now you ruined it. Oh well, maybe next time.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I am beginning to learn that when you open doors like that, be prepared to shut them FAST or to get hit. lol
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

My wife has been wanting to try some wax castings for a while now. She's very good and we've always wanted to try to have some jewelry made of her designs. How expensive is this process?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

And what kind of wax?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

WELLLL. The wax isn't so bad. A pound of bronze isn't bad either. Now the more precious metals reflect their value in the price. As for equipment, that's where you run into the big bucks. The website I know of that deals with the stuff is http://www.riogrande.com . But as usual, keep your eyes peeled on Craig's List and E-Bay and you could come up with many of the items rather cheaply.

I remember a vacuum chamber, a kiln, a gas forge, crucibles and other miscellaneous things. It can be pricey. A friend in Fayetteville is willing to do the casting for me as long as I send a couple of dollars to cover the propane costs.
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

So, you're making rings, are you? *rolls eyes* Yeah, THAT'S going to end well...

Seriously Eric, the ring and scabbard look awesome. Keep it up! As everyone else has said, your work just keeps improving.

I remember a jeweler melting bronze with propane, and having the mods mounted in a centrifuge, to get the bronze to flow better. But there was a certain danger element involved, molten bronze, spinning rig, etc....

Hmm, just...Companion Blade?
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

NO! But I've got a better plan than that upstart Sauron. . . Oh nevermind :roll: :lol:

Pwyll I think you got to handle that knife when you were here.
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

Yes, I think I did. Pity we were so rushed.

But delighted to see you expanding your skills!
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.