Strider Jerkin

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

Strider Jerkin

Post by Kortoso »

A while back, I decided to make a replica of Strider's jerkin from the film series Lord of the Rings.
I'm not a fan of leather clothing, and instead of creating something different, I thought I would re-create the leather garment and see if I could really live in it like a Ranger.

I primarily used this excellent source to see what the costume looked like:
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hum ... Jerkin.htm
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Strider Jerkin

Post by Kortoso »

I stopped by Ye Olde Tandy Leather Shoppe and picked up my supplies. They had small hides of the thickness that I needed, and since the hides were so small, I had to stitch the pieces together, just like the original costume.
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (164.27 KiB) Viewed 15679 times
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I think it looks great! Have you been able to wear it?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Nice work! I've got one that I regularly wear with my garb. A friend of mine made it for me back in like '03 or '04, out of a hideous old burgundy women's leather coat. She just used the rough inside of the coat for the outside of the jerkin, and it turned out great. She had to get a little creative with construction to accommodate for things like the pockets on the coat, etc, but she did an amazing job. I'm wearing it in basically all the pictures I have up around here. However, it's now getting rather worse for wear, and I think I may need to replace it before too long. It's been through the ringer, heh.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Mirimaran wrote:I think it looks great! Have you been able to wear it?

Ken
Of course, haha, let me get some pics together....
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Looks great Ranger Kortoso....and yes post some pics wearing it. This may be my next project.....Thanks.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Nicely put together. Do you plan to dye it?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Thanks!
Here's a front shot.
Attachments
003sm.jpg
003sm.jpg (190.08 KiB) Viewed 15593 times
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

And this is me running away.
Attachments
006sm.jpg
006sm.jpg (184.88 KiB) Viewed 15593 times
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Some deets.
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (207.08 KiB) Viewed 15593 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (93.92 KiB) Viewed 15593 times
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Greg wrote:Nicely put together. Do you plan to dye it?
Thanks, I wanted a decent repro of Strider's jerkin, so this is going to be its color.
Know, of course, that the film was dramatically color-shifted, so that almost everything looked black or gray. This is real obvious when you see the photos of the actual costumes on exhibit.

I used Simplicity's 4795, Nativity Costumes for the pattern:
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2192-misses ... tumes.aspx
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Alleycat is the best site ever for costuming LOTR. you look great, Kortoso! Looks comfortable!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Looks good! Nice work!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Nice, I'll have to get pics of my Strider kit up here too, remaking the jerkin myself too oddly enough. I am using suede which has a nice look and weight to it as well.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I had some trouble understanding how the breast closures work (on the original film costume), and it turns out that I was overthinking it.

They just inserted a thong into a hole in the leather, and secured it with simple overhand stopper knots on either side of the leather. Two thongs on either side of the closure, of course. Then one of the thongs received another overhand stopper knot, and the opposite thong was simply threaded through the knot, which was tightened to hold it.